VFD Replacement question

I have a Milltronics Milling machine which I was told by Milltronics could be run from single phase provided I put the 220 lines on L1 and L3. Well ne edless to say the VFD did not last to long.

When I contacted the drive manufacture they told me that the Drive was not rated to have single phase input and that the drive could only be used for a motor of 1/2 of what it was rated for if three phase power was supplied. They even gave me a technical manual to explain why. Long story short you can not put single phase power in to any VFD rated for three phase input and expect the VFD to provide the same rated HP or Curre nt output when you only supply single phase input.

With the now fried and obsolete VFD as a guide I purchased a replacement V1

000 single phase drive from Yaskawa at 1/3 the cost of what Milltronics wan ted for a F7 drive rated for three phase input. When the drive arrived not to long ago I noted that the HP of the motor was 7.5 and the AMPS was 19 no t the 17.5 on the now fried VFD. Well it appears that Milltronics company d id not size the drive correctly in the first place even if three phase powe r was to be used which is NOT the case here as they do not have three phase power on my street. No worries as I will use it anyway as I never take lar ge cuts or have big face mills....

Now the fun begins

When I connect the wires all up to the new drive and with a phone call to Y askawa as the new drive terminals are not marked or named the same as the o ld ones I think I have things wired correctly.

I power the drive and it comes to life or so I thought

With the belts removed from the motor to the spindle I do the auto tune as noted in the V1000 quick start book. All seems well and the drive does oper ate the motor when run in local mode and I control things from the keypad.

I restart the machine by using the large switch at the back of the machine.

I note the computer seems to be DEAD no screen or anything but did note a f lash on the computer screen at power up so the screen got power for a short time and the lights did the normal flash....However the cnc machine is in Estop as normal startup and the computer screen is black.

I press the reset button and the machine goes from Estop back to Estop with only a micro second in between. Still no computer and no temporary flash o n the screen.

I go to the back of the machine and note no errors on the drive readout and the lights on the computer acroloop cards (green light) is light up so thi ngs look normal from the back and at least I know the computer is getting p ower.

I opted to use the V1000 drive as it is available in single phase input.

Why is the machine in Estop with no computer and when reset is pushed its s till stuck in Estop with no computer. Typically the machine starts up with the machine in E-stop but we have a co mputer readout.

How do I fix this??? Milltronics is of no use as they have stated they do not have any experienc e with the V1000 and only when I advised the general manager that the f7 dr ive was no longer in production and that the drive they would have sold me was not rated for single phase input did they now state that they where con verting to the A1000 drive.

Milltronics still states that the VFDs they use can be used on single or th ree phase and they do not comprehend the fact that you need to use a larger drive because of the added total harmonic distortion and the fact you are asking two diode pars to do the work of what three used to if the machine i s supplied with single phase power VS Three phase power.

The machine in question is a partner 1h bed mill serial m3165 the machine had a Safetronics PC3 drive in it

If anyone has a v1000 machine and could tell me where the control wires are connected on the v1000 that may help

I had also asked Milltronics about adding a fourth Axsis to the machine and advised them that I could purchase an acroloop card (seeing as they couldn 't sell me one) and they could not tell me how to configure it to work.

Thank You Regards Stan

Reply to
smcdonal

I suspect the computer is either not getting a "drive ready" signal from your inverter or the inverter is not closing your emergency stop line when it comes on.

I don't have a milltronics but you can probably find the related circuit(s) if you look closely at your schematics.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I power the mill and the drive comes to life. no power to the computer so I turn off the big switch at the back of the ma chine and the drive shows EF3 which if I read the manual correctly means a problem with the s3 terminal / circuit.

Tried removing the SC terminal and re-power to see if the computer would co me to life

Tried to remove the AC terminal and re-power to see if the computer would c ome to life

in both cases The lights flash on the operator terminal the lights on the c omputer acroloop cards (green light) is light up so the computer has partia l power.

The V1000 drive is a replacment for the PC3 safetronics that died because o f single phase input and the drive was rated 5hp from the factory even thou gh the machine has a 7.5 hp motor in it.

Milltronics is of no use as they have stated they do not have any experienc e with the V1000 and only when I advised the general manager that the f7 dr ive was no longer in production and that the drive they would have sold me was not rated for single phase input did they now state that they where con verting to the A1000 drive.

I have advised Milltronics that the V1000 drive would be a better and less expensive option and further told them that the machine should be supplied either in two versions, one for single phase and another for three phase or simply use the single phase version in all machines that are 5hp or less. Milltronics still states that the VFDs they use can be used on single or th ree phase and they do not comprehend the fact that you need to use a larger drive because of the added total harmonic distortion and the fact you are asking two diode pars to do the work of what three used to if the machine i s supplied with single phase power VS Three phase power. They also seem to think that if you use a smaller drive then the motor will not put out the f ull HP. They seem to think the drive will limit the current given to the mo tor. They clearly did not read the manual for the drive which states the dr ive must be equal to or greater then the current drawn by the motor to be o perated.

The machine in question is a partner 1h bed mill serial m3165 The machine had a Safetronics PC3 drive in it

If anyone has a v1000 machine and could tell me where the control wires are connected on the v1000 that may help or if they had to change any of the p arameters in order to get the drive to function under remote control settin gs???

Thanks to everyone for help in advance

Stan

Reply to
stan mcdonald

In an effort to isolate the problem with the Partner Mill (Milltronics) I d isconnected the s3 line and turned on power. The drive no longer reports EF

3 and when I press the reset button the lights on the side of the machine c ome on and I assume the servo drives have power. The computer screen is sti ll dead. I assume there might be a way to reverse the logic on S3 so it would see a fault in the reverse condition that it does now and therefore I would be ab le to reinstall s3 but the screen being blank doesn't look good.

Any ideas from the group? Regards Stan

Reply to
stan mcdonald

You could probably add a relay but I would think you'll find the drive already has provisions for both NO and NC contacts if you read the manual carefully.

Any ideas from the group? Regards Stan

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

it was stated that Most of the computers are running off a step-down transf ormer...usually L3 to ground giving you 110volts or L2-L3 giving you 220vol ts and then to a step down transformer to run the computers power supply.

When I first contacted Milltronics they said put your single phase power on L1 and L3. I did that and it worked for aprox 50-60 hours like that until the drive fried. Therefore I dont see why the computer would not work. The boards in the back of the machine (acroloop) do have a green light on t hem when the machine is on. Therefore I assume the computer is getting powe r. I do agree that a transformer is present and is used to operate the comp uter or whatever other 120 volt stuff is on the machine. I will verify that the transformer is getting the 240 from the power line and that 120 is pre sent across the output of the transformer. I did not change anything on the input side of things I only took the L1 L2 L3 and T1 T2 T3 wires off the f ried drive along with the control wires and replaced them as indicated by Y askawa as far as the control wires go and connected T1 T2 and T3 as they wh ere before on the new drive. I then connected L1 and L2 to the single phase drive as there is no connection for L3 as the drive is not designed for th ree phase input.

Therefore still at a loss as to why I have no video on the monitor which wo rked fine until the VFD drive was replaced with the new V1000 rated for sin gle phase.

S3 is a fault detection line according to the V1000 manual and used to be t erminal #4 on the PC3 Drive

for speed control...usually 0-10vts DC and Run Forwards/Run Stop/Run Reverse.

Agreed but the wire designations on the PC3 and the V1000 differ as far as the control wires for faults and relay outputs IE terminals 3 and 4 are rev ersed between the PC3 and the V1000... Flt-A is now MA Flt-B is now MB and Flt-c is MC etc Also the logic in the controller may have been set on the P C3 differently so therefore it is not just a matter of simple swap and it w ill work.

relay..you may have a A1 input to the drive..usually from a relay that sens es if all conditions are met. Right which is why I think I am getting the EF3 error so as you now pointed out its not just a simple A to A b to B setup.

Yes I have the manual thank you.

same drive..the Yaskawa/Telemarque PC3 drive, no matter whose label is on it.

Agreed therefore why install an A1000 drive which costs more and has more f eatures then is required to replace the PC3?

I already have the Pc3 manual

Agreed

L3 so you could run it single phase? Often times..a simple jumper between L1 or L2 running to L3 will power up the 110 volt side that gives power to the computer.. I suspect that you are not..not getting power to the computer. Find the input line to the computer and measure it.

As stated it ran fine with single phase power on L1 and L3 til the drive fr ied then all I did was replace the drive and therefore don't see why the co mputer wouldn't still work and further as stated the acroloop boards are ge tting power as the green light is on when power is applied to the machine.

Thanks for your help. Regards Stan

Reply to
stan mcdonald

I have a Milltronics Milling machine which I was told by Milltronics coul d be run from single phase provided I put the 220 lines on L1 and L3. Well needless to say the VFD did not last to long.

When I contacted the drive manufacture they told me that the Drive was not rated to have single phase input and that the drive could only be used for a motor of 1/2 of what it was rated for if three phase power was supplied. They even gave me a technical manual to explain why which I forwarded to M illtronics as a curtsey.

Long story short you cannot put single phase power in to any VFD rated for three phase input and expect the VFD to provide the same rated HP or Curre nt output when you only supply single phase input.

With the now fried and obsolete VFD as a guide and after talking with Yask awa I purchased a replacement V1000 single phase drive from our local moto r repair shop at 1/3 the cost of what Milltronics wanted for a F7 drive rat ed for three phase input only. When the drive arrived not to long ago I noted that the HP of the motor was 7.5 and the AMPS was 19 not the 17.5 on the now fried VFD. Well it appears that Milltronics company did not size the drive correctly in the first pla ce even if three phase power was to be used which is NOT the case here as t hey do not have three phase power on my street. No worries as I will use it anyway as I never take large cuts or have big face mills....

I contacted Milltronics to ask about the HP mismatch and they said it is st andard for them to use this configuration. Upon review of Yaskawa paperwork it seems this is not recommended.

Milltronics does not have any recommendations for a new drive other then th e F7 and cannot tell me how to install any other drive other the F7 which t hey cannot provide. Milltronics is further states that you can put single phase in to a three phase drive without de-rating the drive.

Now the fun begins When I connect the wires all up to the new drive and with a phone call to Yaskawa as the new drive terminals are not marked or named the same as the old ones I think I have things wired correctly. I power the drive and it comes to life. With the belts removed from the motor to the spindle I do the auto tune as noted in the V1000 quick start book. All seems well and the drive does ope rate the motor when run in local mode and I control things from the keypad. The spindle will start/ stop and change speeds and give feedback and seems to run better than it did with the PC3 drive in remote mode (under CNC cont rol).

I get everything to work right except the tool changer will not orient itse lf (which from the diagrams seems to be a proxy switch). When I call Yaskawa back to ask about the tool orientation issue they dire ct me back to Milltronics who cannot help me. Milltronics can't sell me a r eplacement drive nor can they provide a cross reference from the PC3 drive to anything other than the F7 drive yet they are apparently now using A1000 drives after I advised them of the obsoleteness of the F7. I request from Milltronics a PC3 to A1000 conversion sheet and none can be provided. I req uest the same from Yaskawa and again none can be provided. I sent this correspondence back to Yaskawa who said they will not help me r esolve this tool orientation issue.

Has anyone ever replace a PC3 drive with a V1000 or A1000 or could lend me some assistance in fixing this tool orientation issue? The machine now has the V1000 drive installed I am guessing that we may be able to use Creep Mode on the drive and I do h ave the Milltronics wiring diagrams.

Thank you Regards Stan

Reply to
esweese

I used the V1000 as set from the factory except I changed the following parameters from information I got from Milltronics when replacing the PC3 drive with an F7

C1-01 3 C1-02 3 D1-17 1.5 H1-01 6 H1-02 14 H1-03 24 H1-04 F H1-05 F H1-06 F H2-01 1 H2-03 2 H4-01 3 I am using an external brake resistor and changed L3-04 to 3 Thanks for your help

Reply to
esweese

This configuration did not work so I changed H1-01 to 40 H1-02 to 41 H1-03 to 24 H1-04 to 14 H1-05 to 24

with these modifications the clockwise and ccw functions worked but the tool changer still doesn't work.

Reply to
esweese