Brazing aluminium & steel

I want to extend my computer hard disk drive hanger with some aluminium plates - they're meant to screw on but if you do that then the computer's metal case doesn't close properly because of the extra width of the newly merged assembly. I hit upon the idea of brazing the thing together - anyone know how its done? Will a handheld blowtorch reach sufficient temperature? What weight will hang from the join? Is there a convenient directory of people who undertakes jobs like this? Yellow pages doesn't seem much good from what I can see

Reply to
ITMA

You can certainly "weld" aluminium with a hand-held blowtorch. Actually, its not really welding, but it looks and behaves like it. The following website has the details...

I've used it many times with great success.

Hope this helps, Gary Wooding. (To reply by email, change feet to foot in my address)

Reply to
Wooding