Liability & responsibility of electrician?

I'm concerned that the system engineer (was one) didn't know what they were doing - no internal protection - or was the customer to cheap and didn't buy an option.

I hate that kind of option - to lower the price and risk failures.

Power lines have gone from 200 to 245 in my lifetime and will likely continue to inch up.

Remember 100v and then 107 and 110 and 115 and 120 and 125 and 130...

Pushing more power with the same cables - requires higher voltages.

Mart>> >>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

We have never gone above 120 anywhere in the lower 48 that I remember.

Please refrain from top posting.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I ALWAYS top post. Keeps from having to read the drivel.

But as for line voltage, I monitor my voltage with an accurate digital meter. floats around 123 to 125 except during hot summer afternoons when it sags appreciably.

As for the sag, the guys > >

Reply to
RoyJ

You are the weakest drivel... goodbye.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

That 'accurate' 'cheap chinese' 'meter'?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Sigh! I'm through wasting my time with you. Take it up with someone that gives a damn.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

It is always from a three phase source. That's the way it comes from the generators, although only one leg is generally used for distribution.

Where I live, one leg of the three phase ran the power for everyone on the hill. When they needed to increase capacity, I paid for the third leg to be installed while they were upgrading the service with the second leg. That's how I ended up with three phase service in my shop, having had the primary lines extended for over two miles.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Not a lot, but it may have a profound effect on the tariff on peanuts in Brazil.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

That's a matter for opinion and apparently, yours don't count!

Reply to
Jamie

That is a matter of fact, though you wouldn't know a fact if it bit you where you talk.

Reply to
krw

All three legs are generally used for distribution.

That's unusual. All three phases are generally on each pole in populated areas. Some rural areas do have only one phase distributed down each road. It is uncommon to have all three phases run into a home, though.

Reply to
krw

Which HIS

Ahhh no answer to that, so just an A-H attack. How clever....

OHHH so now we are going from never, to "low likelyhood"?

I used to live in one of those locations. It had a for shit utility neutral.

Ahh.... yet an other A-H attack...... Your ability to have polite discourse is short of amazing, well well short of it.

jk

Reply to
jk

Coming from you I won't get shook up about it as you struggle, trip and fall climbing to the heights of glory. And when you look back, no one is following, nor do they care.

You are among the mushroom people.

Born in the dark, stay in the dark, always given shit and when big enough, get canned!

Reply to
Jamie

and

At least I can climb. Your model of glory is DimBulb.

No, I don't give a shit about you. That's what you are.

Reply to
krw

message=20

and=20

That must have cost several pretty pennies.

Reply to
JosephKK

I believe you are mistaken. Under the REA in the 1930s and '40s the nominal voltage was 135. Voltage drops over the long rural lines made variations significant - a short lane farm got 135 while a long lane farm might get only 100 with any load running. IIRC much of this was also 25 hz. (All early "niagara project" power was 25Hz - changed over in the early fifties - I can still remember having new electric clocks, and motors on washing machine and refrigerator being changed over when I was a wee lad on the farm in Ontario.

"long life" lightbulbs sold for urban use even a few decades ago were "farm bulbs" rated for 135 volts.DuroTest was a major manufacturer of

135 volt bulbs IIRC.

Still common in Mexico (DuroTest in Mexico is now DuroMex)

Reply to
clare

Yeah, I should have been clear on how I said what I did. We live in a remote area, with the smallest parcel being 5 acres. There are larger lots, some of them as large as 60 acres. As a result, and the fact that it hadn't developed much until the past ten years, only one leg ran on the ridge. Growth necessitated the upgrade, but even then they had intended to run only two of the legs. The three phase terminates at our residence, and we are the only ones that are using all three legs.

I agree, having three phase run to a residence is not common, although I've had it at the last three locations. First one was open delta. Second one and this one are full blown three phase delta. Second one didn't cost us a dime----all we had to do was guarantee a given amount of use over a given amount of time. Wasn't so lucky here. It cost just over $22,000 to have it run to us. Worth every damned penny as far as I'm concerned. I have a

50 kw induction furnace that I want to run, to say nothing of my numerous three phase machine tools.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

That must have cost several pretty pennies.

Heh! I just commented on that in a different response. It cost just over $22,000. They had quoted me over $30,000 originally, before they realized they had to update the line. The time interval between the original inquiry and the one where I committed was several years. Glad I waited! We were still living in Utah, so it made no difference. We've had the three phase service for about nine years now. Very convenient. I've had such service since 1967.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Depends a lot on where you live. On the street where i grew up it could be had, but rotary converters were often cheaper. Most places i lived in the LA area it could be had from the local pole. Where i live now it is over 10,000 to get 3 phase.

Reply to
JosephKK

I seem to remember reading that the early Niagara generators are indeed 25 Hz. Also that instead of trying to replace the generators they installed frequency/phase converters when they connected it to the grid. It seems that the AC generators were not economically rebuildable or replaceable. Now where was that article?

Reply to
JosephKK