Lighting and security fence

What kind of mounts are used for putting a security light fixture at the top of a post of a 10-ft "hurricane" fence with barbed wire atop (not razor wire).

Is there a standard replacement for the "acorn" tops of these posts that are used for attaching a light? Or is it just a custom job?

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Conners

I'd talk to a fence company. They might just know themselves.

Mart> What kind of mounts are used for putting a security light fixture at the top

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A quick Google found this. Might give you an idea or two.

Search words: security light fence mount

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Paul Conners wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Depends on what kind of light fixture you are using. HID floods can be ordered with a knuckle to fit directly over the end of the pipe, assuming it is one of a few standard sizes. Properly powering the fixture is not going to be simple since these are designed for lamp standards and you won't have the wiring inside your fence posts. You could bolt a length of flat bar to a cast fixture box and hoseclamp it to the top of your posts if you want to use $29 hardware store motion lights. Try Google terms "light fixture" with "slipfitter" or "tenon" for ideas on lights that mount on lamp standards.

Reply to
Charles U Farley

Most likely going to be a custom jobbie, but you might get lucky. This is why they invented welding...

Pipe used for fence posts usually doesn't correspond with the Tubing sizes used for light standards. The only exception, 2-1/2" pipe is slightly under the 3" nominal OD for light-duty lighting standards.

All the "fence conversions" I've dealt with use standard fence top caps with a hole drilled for the light stem, and double locknuts to secure. And every one has had lights that get loose easily and spin to where they want in severe winds.

The best move is to go back 5 to 10 feet and put up a dedicated light standard. Let the fence be a fence and keep the baddies out, and the post light it up. And you don't have to worry about the barbed wire when changing the lamps.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I need to replace my outdoor motion sensor lights. Actually, I just need the sensors on several. Last time I tried to find quality equipment but had nothing to assure me of what i was getting.

So where does one find high-quality motion-sensors that will last? Recommended brands or models?

Reply to
RBnDFW

Don't hijack USENET threads.

You'll get better responses if you start your own thread.

If you're not sure how to do this:

  1. don't "Reply" to a message -- that's a sure way to have it appear in the middle of this thread (the definition of "hijack"). Instead, create a New message and ask your question.
2.
Reply to
Paul Conners

thanks Charles! Those terms are exactly what helps me do a good Google search.

Reply to
Paul Conners

I suggest you read up about "Off-topic" posts. If you can't read, have someone help you with it.

This is a metalworking NG

Reply to
RBnDFW

And by the way, this is your FIRST post to this newsgroup, and it has nothing to do with the subject. And it's crossposted. And you did not even have the courtesy to precede the subject line with "OT".

I guess you probably have a problem with t>> I need to replace my outdoor motion sensor lights.

Reply to
RBnDFW