What groups am I looking for if(see message)

Below is the post I made to alt.rec.crafts.metalworking yesterday before I found this group. My question still stands so I have attempted to cross post to both but since I have never cross posted before not sure if I did this right.

Hi I have google some but I do not seem to come up with very many groups concerning metal working( i.e. casting, forges, mills, lathes etc). What groups should I be reading. I am trying to learn enough to make a metal shop mainly for my use. I really don't want to spend 35 thousand for each machine but then neither do I want only very small units like the Sherline. I actually have a small lathe and a small mill now. I have a few good books but I also want some thoughts from people who works in the field(in particular who not to buy). I been interested for a few years but was put off by a person work as a machinist who told me I would never get anything that was useful with out spending a few hundred thousand dollars. The more I have read the more I have become convinced that is not true. I believe now that precision is as much a function of the person and techniques as of machines. Being a math major chemistry minor, high computer skills(both hardware and software), usually good common sense, and doing maintenance (electronics ) in the television field probably should help too. Sorry to take so long but I feel that by expounding a little that better advice can be given. Thanks

Reply to
spamkill at charter dot net

What are you wanting to get, and how much have you got to spend?

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Try MACHINIST'S WORKSHOP and The Home Shop Machinist [800-447-7367], also Lindsay Publications [Google because I can't find my latest catalog]. Jack Morse

Reply to
John Morse