Will it bend - a question?

Looking for a simple explanation here :-)

If someone can explain how to work out the following, I should be able to figure my actual problem.

A lever is to be used to lift an heavy object. By proportion I can figure the movement amount & the ratios of how much can be lifted.etc.

-------------------------------------------- | ^ | lift pivot load

But will the 'lever' bend or even break is the question. Obviously I don't want a lever so 'strong' I can't lift it, but some deflection is OK, but breaking / permenant bending is not.

So a) what units are used to measure the bending force at the pivot point? how to calc it? (just add the moments at each end?)

b) am I look for the "tensile strength" of an RHS or "I- beam" ?

Thx for any info / kick start on working this out. BTW I did this stuff breifly @ uni about 100 yrs ago, just no books or memory left :-)

Reply to
FredBear

Thx anyhow, just found a refresher course here

be enough to work out what I need - I think?

Fred

Reply to
FredBear