280V motor on 230V circuit

I have a broken pool motor [magnetek y56y] which will cost a bundle to fix or repair. While doing a search on the web, I found the same model (really cheap) but wired for 280V, instead of the 230 V load that my wiring is supplies. Now, I was thinking of buying the cheap 280V model and installing it instead. Aside from rotating at a different speed and maybe some power inefficiencies, are there any other drawbacks of using the 280V model instead?

Reply to
Deodiaus

If it's the same model motor, you might be able to rewire it for your 230V supply. Look at the nameplate or inside the wiring chamber to see if there is a wiring diagram that details wiring connections for different voltages. Barring that, you might search the Mfr's website (if they are still in business) or Google for the make and model of your motor and see if there is any data on it that details the wiring instructions.

Reply to
DaveM

BUY IT! You'll thank yourself 10 years from now! The speed diffrence wil be neglegable, the duty-cycle will be such that the motor will enjoy a much longer life... if anything you could step-up RPM by adding pulleys and a drive-belt rather than direct-drive coupled as it is now... The pulley/belts would also minimize start-shock to the pump by softening the inital roll in of the motor...

Reply to
way.off.the.grid

are you sure it isn't 208 ?

Reply to
Jamie

I'd be suspicious that the 280V was a misreading somehow of 230V.

Reply to
hrhofmann

that sounds more plausible.

Reply to
Jamie

Or... of 208V. If you have a "three phase" circuit coming into a building, and you run two "hot" wires to your appliance (or motor), the effective voltage you're getting is 208V.

There's enough overlap so that a standard 240V appliance such as, say, a larger air conditioner, will work more or less ok on 208V. And vice versa.

But there is most assuredely a difference in the two circuits, so for optimal results, you'll want an appliance (or motor) designed for the specific wiring in your facility.

Reply to
danny burstein

I'm a little confused about a 230 volt circuit. In what part of the world does the utility supply 230v?

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

----- Depending on the age of the motor it could be rated 230V which now has crept up to 240V just as once we had 110V, then 115V then 120V as nominal voltages -(except for the radio people who settled on 117V and assumed that that was what you got.).

Reply to
Don Kelly

280vac is an odd rating, so it 230. 120/240 is standard single phase ratings. 208 is three phase. If it's 208 don't get it.
Reply to
"Blattus Slafaly ? (3) ¼ :)"

Here in New Zealand, the mains voltage is 230 volts, likewise Australia.

Reply to
Charles Foot

Most except the USA and Canada and a few others.

John G.

Reply to
John G

| I'm a little confused about a 230 volt circuit. In what part of the | world does the utility supply 230v?

There are two different flavors of 220/230/240 volts. Some places have a simple system with one wire hot and one wire grounded. Other places have a split system where the voltage is split in half to get 110/115/120 volts relative to ground, by adding a additional "middle" conductor that is the grounded one.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

What's broken on the original motor? There isn't a whole lot to go wrong with these, I've yet to run into one I couldn't fix.

Reply to
James Sweet

Misreading of 208V undoubtably, 208 is very common in commercial buildings, that and 277.

Reply to
James Sweet

In theory, it's 230 on a single phase - neutral circuit here in the UK now, but in practice, it's actually nearer the previously accepted 240v for the most part ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

UK ! 230/240 V

Reply to
Baron

Me too. Usually it's just been corrosion that can be cleaned off and/or lack or lubrication.

Reply to
Ulysses

Sonny, you need to LEARN the difference between Ground and Neutral...... before you spout any further BS.......

Reply to
You

What he wrote looks reasonable to me in terms of ground and neutral. Neutral is the grounded conductor where I live. He does not say to use a ground as a neutral, if that's what you're getting at. I can only guess that that may be what you're getting at, you haven't really said.

[trimmed sci.physics.electromag] j
Reply to
operator jay