90 amps for electric car charge!

I think it comes from the usual reaction of progressives when they don't get their way: the hold their breath until they turn blue (sometimes accompanied by foot-stamping).

Conversely, conservatives maintain a healthy pink constitution. Sometimes aided by home-made alcohol.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's all changed. The best way to rob a bank now is to own it!

Reply to
VWWall

Well, there certainly is a LIAR here. Since you "can't remember" who told you this nonsense...

Reply to
krw

On 2/18/2010 12:29 PM VWWall spake thus:

Don't even have to do that; just become a derivatives trader.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

And the Congress too of course. That way when your aggressive pirate activities screw too many people and things get wobbly you can summon Congress to launch an aggressive spin campaign that you are "to big to fail" and have them pull money out of everyone's pockets to help poor you.

Reply to
George

--------- Aw, shoot, a sensible response- you could get blackballed for that!

----- Don Kelly cross out to reply

Reply to
<dhky

I've lived where the power utility was owned by the city- it's not uncommon. However, the utility's mandate is on it's side of the metering. Permits apply to your side of the metering and code compliance /inspection covers your ass with the insurance company if something goes wrong. If the utility underestimated load growth and diversity- it is their problem (which will filter down to the customer base as a whole, rather than the individual). Whatever, I agree, it is laughable-the utility can't even detect the possibility of a grow-op until suspicious meter readings appear or the secondaries to the house of concern let out magic smoke.

----- Don Kelly cross out to reply

Reply to
<dhky

You would still need to purchase the appropriate politicians because after you get really greedy you might loose money so you will want someone on your side who can pull money out of everyone else's pockets to cover your gambling losses.

Reply to
George

No kidding. Local code requires a 200 amp service around here, yet the primaries are still designed and fused for 60 amp service. This subdivison was built in the mid '60s, and was designed for about 18 A @

240 V average per home. That was fine when the houses used propane to cook and for heat. No one had air conditioning or electric stoves. A 60 A fuse in the primary around the corner goes on a regular basis. Usually on Friday evenings and within a few minutes of 5:00 PM when everyone gets home from work. They turn up the AC and start cooking. Then you hear the fuse explode like a shotgun.

It isn't as bad right now because several of the houses are vacant. It is a mostly senior subdivision and they are empty, awaiting probate. Others were bought by snowbirds, so they are empty through the summer but it still goes about once a month.

Most utility workers are trained for a very narrow range of work, and have little or no idea of the engineering behind the company or the rules & regulations they set.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I hit send too fast. :)

That's similar to living on a military base where they run the utilities, except they didn't meter the electric. They also supplied the water, natural gas (Where available), diesel fuel for the generators at remote bases and steam to heat buildings in cold climates. They operated the CATV and telephone systems, and in a few places they had the only local radio or TV station and printed the newspaper.

Ft. Greely, AK. was like that, except for natural gas which wasn't available.

I live within 15 miles of two city operated electric utilities. The rates are about double what people outside the city limits pay, and all the electricity comes from the same power plants. Then they complain when businesses move out of the city, or the county because of high taxes & utilities.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

------------------ Actually the rates were competitive. Rates in the whole region, including the city went up when de-regulation came in with chain store economics- maximise short term profit.

Reply to
<dhky

Not around here. The cities base a lot of their budget on the money they collect by jacking up the utility bills. Now they are crying because a lot of people have cut back their use, and a lot of restaurants and small businesses have closed which took a lot of their revenue.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I agree. Electric cars are perfectly viable as second cars in a two car family.

For many it would also be viable to use one to commute to work. Many people commute less than 30 miles and the car sits idle all day in the car park.

Reply to
Cwatters

When we were younger, out "second car" was an old version of the "first car". IOW, we kept the old one. Now they're quite different vehicles (one car, one truck) for different purposes, in addition to commuting. A "second car" costing as much as an electric car is a non-starter.

If you're foolish enough to buy an *expensive* new car as just a commuter.

Reply to
krw

Out electric rates (city owned electric company) are pretty reasonable, though I admit I haven't checked the area outside the city. We're paying under $.10/kWh, which certainly can't be double. Our highest bill this winter, a cold one, was about $175.

Reply to
krw

Florida brags about no state income tax, but hopes that you don't notice the thousands of other taxes they use to replace it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The income tax isn't outrageous, and property tax here is cheap. They do have a real PITA sales tax, though (8%, 10% in Montgomery, but who would spend money there?).

Reply to
krw

flororida heavily taxes tourists to help keep residents taxes lower

thins like a 23% room tax.

Reply to
hallerb

Sales tax is 6% right now. It keeps changing. My property taxes are about $700 per year. They went up quite a bit over the last 10 years, even with the so called 'Homestead Exemption' and '$5,000 'Disability Exemption' The actual property taxes are low, but they add a lot of fees which adds over $400 to the annual bill.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We had to do something so they didn't stay so long. :) Still, they get off cheap when compared to what the residents have to pay.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell