A hacker at work? IP 80.46.128.141

My IP address has only been revealed by malicious posters in the NG uk.radio.amateur.

I noticed some strange activity on my ADSL modem, and identified as a malicious scan on the one port that is open.

The scanning is coming from IP address 80.46.128.141, which resolves to dsl-80-46-128-141.access.uk.tiscali.com

If this is your IP address, perhaps you'll have the decency to identify yourself so that a complaint can be made?

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Send your complaint to Tiscal as posting it here is pointless. I would assume you are favoured up top enough to run a properly configured firewall.

see if you have your computer is secure enough.

Reply to
GoodBuddy

Not true

Hackers scan large IP ranges looking for security vulnerabilities. If you have one then it will be found.

Also your IP addres sis also reveales in evry email you send and recorded by every web server you connect to.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

Hehe, you have no idea what you are talking about:

  1. Every single thing you do on the net "reveals" your IP, it's not "secret". Heck, even the post you just made reveals your IP.

  1. Port scans happen all the time. I get dozens of logs full of them every day, and I'm on a dynamic IP. Consider it "background radiation".

  2. A port scan isn't illegal, you have no grounds to complain.

Reply to
repatch

Rubbish. It's in the headers of your postings. Surely you know this? You are a software consultant, aren't you? You claim to have been on Usenet for years?

A reasonable newsreader, such as Agent which I am using, means one can scan received postings for such information. For example, it tells me that you have posted 74 messages from that address since your original complaint about BT Broadband.

And what was it that made that scan 'malicious'?

Well, didn't you maintain that 'Tiscali' was an Italian word for 'crap'? (your words)?

The normal thing to do in these circumstances is to post all the information you have to snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.com or whatever their abuse address is (which as you were a customer of theirs you should be familiar with) and they will let you know what they are doing about it

- always presuming the 'scan' was 'malicious'. Such information should be available from your firewall log. You do know what a firewall is? And a log? Ask if you're in doubt. HTH

Reply to
Me

I'm Spartacus...

BWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply to
Crash Bang Wallop

The clueless newbie usenet f****it reveals himself everytime he opens his mouth.

Reply to
huLLy

You're revealing your IP address in every single posting you make. From the headers of your own posting:

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Mann

Are you really that stupid?

a) Your IP address is often as not included in the properties of the posts you make. In your case it is there.

b) I assume you are not using a fire wall? Do you know what a fire wall is?

c) What have you got on your PC that could be of so much interest?

You really are a prime pillock.

BobD

Reply to
Bob D

Assuming you have a dynamic IP and not a static one, (you do understand the difference, I assume?) all you need do is power down and restart your PC and modem. The chances are that your IP will then change. All you need do then is stay off Usenet and your new IP is unlikely to be discovered. This would also be advantageous to the rest of the Usenet community. ...(_!_)...

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

So, Meester Bond, you have discovered my secret new portscanner !

[ pauses to stroke hairy white moggy on lap ]

Let us see what it can do.

[ pushes button on desk ]

There, Meester Bond, that didn't hurt, did it ? I shall now expect to see a flurry of news postings on the internet threatening me with action from the United Nations.

What fools they are !

Farewell, Meester Bond ........

73, G.
Reply to
Harry Blofield

huh? though you had a bit more 'net-sense' OM.

try getting about 500 of these a day.

it's most likely a virus on the guys PC anyway. if u run a firewall just ignore it.

don't assume the attackers IP AD is correct anyway. it could be a mirror reflector IP in use.

mike

Reply to
mike

LOL, no wonder this so called software engineer is unemployable...

Regards tox

Reply to
Crash Bang Wallop

I just figured out why his front gate is broken.. the moron thought it was a logic gate!

Reply to
huLLy

Couldn't happen to a nicer chap, in my opinion.. Justice I believe is the word for it....

Reply to
A Veteran Has Lung

But, to be fair, Gareth must be having an off day. So far we've had: Errors in the use of indice notation, errors understanding Euler identities, (more) errors re DSP, confusion over time and the period of a waveform.

Now this IP / hacking stuff.

Even for Gareth that is a lot of 'blond moments' in one day. Maybe we should call them "Gareth Moments" in the future to mark this day.

Reply to
Brian Reay

the more I hear about computers the more I think the best thing is to burn them......

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

ROTFL What really makes me die, is the clown cross posted this to alt.engineering.electrical! I wonder how his newfound fan club within that group will view his intelligence after reading this thread :-)

Best Wishes tox

PS all of a sudden it's gone very quiet in Chippenham, perhaps his broadband connection has conveniently gone down!

Reply to
Crash Bang Wallop

Is this what he means by "arguing from his maintained knowledge"? Looks like he needs a new maintenance contract.

Reply to
Richard Kaulfuss

That may be so, but it is not an invitation under UK law for unauthorised access to be made to it.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean