Anyone have the stats on how much power the normal computer uses?

Did you ever think to check the name plate?!?

Reply to
Brian

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 21:17:01 -0600, "Brian" Gave us:

Top posting Usenet retard.

The name plate, as in the one on the power supply, ONLY states what the power supply is capable of putting out. It in no way states what the computer actually consumes.

Bone up on usenet posting protocols, dude.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 03:10:32 GMT, "Kilowatt" Gave us:

Mini tower: 90W

Mini slimline: 75W

Full tower, decked out with multiple drives and CD burner(s): 160W

On a bad day.

Reply to
DarkMatter

I used to measure the power consumption for calculating air conditioning capacity, before systems got to a GHz. All the way from 286 systems through to ~700MHz PIII systems, the system unit always consumed around 60W, and a CRT-based monitor between 50-100W over the range 14" to 21" (but also depends on scan rate).

I haven't measured any more recent systems, but it might still be a reasonable figure although it probably varies more with workload than it would have in the past. As CPU's have got considerably more power hungry, power management has also advanced. So the answer may depend more on your workload and the operating system's ability of utilising the power management features of your system more than it would have in the past.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 4 Jan 2004 11:09:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) Gave us:

PC systems are still the same, 65W to 150W, depending on the system. CRT type Monitors use around 150 Watts these days, so I'm sure they used that much back then, if not more.

Reply to
DarkMatter

BONE THIS MFer!!!!!!!

Reply to
Brian

top posting does it really matter for gods sake?

Am I the only old annorak whos been using usenet for 13+ yrs in one form or another that isnt offended by the dreaded top posting, it saves my scroll wheel a lot of work. ;-)

Col.

Reply to
Col

I agree completely. Its those ridgid inflexible people that have to have it exactly the way they want it. I'll take it anyway I can get it :)

I actually prefer top posting.

Reply to
Sasal Suzi

Keep in mind that some graphics processors consume as much power as the system CPU (or more). So it depends on whether you have a low end unit (sufficient for office apps) or a high end one for gaming.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I've been using Usenet since 1992, and only recently have people started complaining about top posting. In fact, at one time, you'd get flamed for bottom posting. It makes no fing difference where you post, and I actually find it better to top post since you don't have to weed your way through all the background to get at the meat.

Reply to
srewbigbrother

You're completely correct. These newbie weenies think they're net cops.

Reply to
srewbigbrother

and what relevance will this post bear to the thread subject once the main post has expired ???

sQuick..(bottom posted)

Reply to
sQuick

Tube monitors use about 150 watts. Flat panel monitors of about 17 inches use about 40 watts. If you live in a high electric cost area, as I do, a flat panel will pay for itself very quickly.

It is hard to say how much power a computer uses. It depends on many things. How many hard drives are running. I have two huge ones. Accessories, I have at least a dozen on my computer. And the CPU. The newer cpu's use as much as 65 watts alone, some even more. Remember they have 40 to 60 million transistors in them. The same goes for some video cards. They can also generate a lot of heat and often have their own fans.

Aanother source of large losses is the diodes used to rectify the high current, low voltages that some of these cpu's use. Todays computers really need 250 to 200 watt power supplies. The 100 watt supplies on most Emachines just will not do it.

Reply to
bushbadee

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 15:03:33 -0000, "Col" Gave us:

No, but you are apparently one of the most retarded old twits in Usenet to claim to have been in it for 13+ years, and not to know a goddamned thing about it, AND to spew the standard, retarded, lazy twit response.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 08:22:09 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." Gave us:

A top of the line vid card MIGHT add a whole ten watts to the number.... MAYBE. On a bad day.

Reply to
DarkMatter

I like my new outlook express. It tells me who the post comes from and I do not have to bother opening dark matters posts.

Reply to
bushbadee

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:05:47 GMT, srewbigbrother Gave us:

If you top post, and then state that you never heard of it before, then YOU are the newbie, you retard.

Your nym proves that you are retarded.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:15:40 GMT, "bushbadee" Gave us:

Wow... he got one right.

Two!

Three!

Not likely.

So.

So.

No shit, Sherlock.

Bwuahahahahaha...

They ALL have them.

I don't know of a single computer on the market now, or ever that was fitted with a 100 Watt supply. In fact, I don't even think that there are such animals in the ATX class.

You keep guessing as you go, and well keep the numbers straight for your retarded ass.

CHILL OUT WITH THE BABY "B" BULLSHIT, YOU RETARDED TWIT!!!

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:43:28 GMT, "bushbadee" Gave us:

Yet you still did, AND you STILL pull the retarded baby "b" bullshit. You couldn't be any more retarded about Usenet.

Outhouse Express sucks ALMOST as bad as you do.

Reply to
DarkMatter