Century Plasma cutter.. what size fuse?

Hey guys,

I just picked up a used Century 20/40A plasma cutter. it's 208/230V. I can't find any specs on this thing anywhere.. I hvae the wiring diagrams. but it doesn't say what size fuse/breaker to use. Any Idea's?

Also, should it be wired as 208V or 230V?

I have 220V going to the garage for my compressor. it goes to a switch then to the compressor. I'm going to add a twist-lock receptical after the switch and add cord ends to the compressor and plasma cutter. (I don't have any extra circuits to use unless I upgrade the servise) My compressor is 220V/20A. The Plasma cutter can be set to 208V or 230V by changing the wires inside the unit. so that's not a problem. but if I need anyting over 20A for the plasma cutter, I'll need to put the right fuses at the panel for the plasma cutter and somehow bring the compressor back does to 20A.

Any ideas?

Thanx

Dan

Reply to
Heavy D

This is what I was thinking,

The 220V line that comes from the electrical panel will go to a DPDT switch (center off, maintained contact). Then one side will go to the twist lock receptical for the plasma cutter. and the other side will go to a fuse box to bring the circuit down to 20A and the compressor will be hardwired to it. This way, the plasma cutter can be unplugged and only one will be able to run at any point in time.

The switch that is currently there is a DPST Motor control. Will it be necessary to use a DPDT Motor control (is there such a thing?). I was going to use a 30A 120-277V switch.

Still not sure of what size fuse for the plasma cutter though.

Heavy D wrote:

Reply to
Heavy D

Verify that the plasma cutter does not need a neutral before proceeding. Assuming your wiring for the compressor is adequate for your region. The 20 amp over- current you already have will be ok. The double pole switch is a good idea. Wire to 220v which is standard in most US homes. Call Century or check their web page if they have one.

Reply to
SQLit