Fortran

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

Anyone know where i could get a "demo" :) copy of Fortran 90/95/03? Thanks Brian

Reply to
Brian White

Real Fortran doesn't have the date code in its name, Fortran IV being the last such incarnation of which I am aware.

Later versions were known as Algol-Fortran.

Reply to
Airy R.Bean

There are links to Fortran compilers at

Look in the "GCC Front Ends" sub-directory for links to g95 and gfortran. It will take some time for a full Fortran 2003 compiler to appear, but F95 compilers have already added some F2003 features as extensions.

Reply to
beliavsky

Reply to
Brian White

8 byte precision suckist I/O ever. almost worse than COBAL
Reply to
relay61:13:214:23

program in

Yes, to compose the program you can use either a general text editor like Emacs or even Notepad (on Windows) or use the IDE that accompanies many compilers. Then you can compile from the command line OR hit a button within the IDE that compiles the program. The process is the same as for other compiled languages like C, but it does differ from Matlab, which is interpreted.

The Fortran 95 language is essentially backwards compatible with Fortran 77, which you were probably using before, but it adds many new features, such as array operations as in Matlab. You also don't need to start the code in column 7.

Reply to
beliavsky

Reply to
Brian White

There are links to Fortran tutorials at

You could start out with F, a clean subset of Fortran 95. Information about it and a free compiler are available at

Although I don't recommend starting with Fortran 77, you can buy a used copy of "Computing for Engineers and Scientists With Fortran 77" by Daniel D. McCracken, William I. Salmon on Amazon for only $2 used. That book was published in 1988 and covers Fortran 77, as the title indicates, but McCracken's first book on Fortran was published in the early 1960s. There are many other cheap used books on Fortran 77.

Reply to
beliavsky

for what its worth, my daughter had to take Fortran five years ago in ChemE, but for my son in the same IT as of this year, it has been dropped from the curricula in favor of C++ (they do use excel and hand calculators and powerpoint)

Reply to
Hobdbcgv

Reply to
Brian White