GFCI With Additional Coil?

I'm replacing a GFCI in a hot tub. The unit looks like a regular blank face GFCI except for some type of coil on the back that several wires run through when it is installed.

Here's a picture:

Is that coil some type of current transformer? Or what? And what might the purpose be?

Reply to
The Streets

It appears very similar to a Leviton 8895. See spec sheet

page 4.

It is a current transformer. The GFCI monitors the current flow through the conductors in the hole and trips if they are out of balance. Similar to a regular GFCI except for heavier currents (50 Amps in this case), you route them through the transformer, and you need a relay to control the circuit.

Reply to
Paul A

That's it -- thanks for the reference.

Reply to
The Streets

Nice!

That reply sets an example of how all of us ought to operate: good content, a url *and* a page number at the site so that others would see exactly what you had in mind. Sometimes people give a url but don't identify what they are referring to, so the reader has to hunt around and assume.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I take it, then, that this gadget controls the load through a contactor/relay?

Reply to
John Gilmer

In my case, yes.

Reply to