Low voltage switch wiring question

Hi,

cabinets.

I have a toggle switch that I would like to install between the low voltage line and the lights.

Should I simply make the switch break the negative wire while keeping the red wires connected, or should I connect the red and the black from the power to one set of lugs and the red-black of the lights to the other set of lugs?

i.e., do I need to use 4 lugs or can I just use 2?

Thanks

Reply to
M-M

Two lugs are fine, you only need to break the circuit.

Reply to
Rich.

Thanks. Is it preferable to use just the two or just easier?

Reply to
M-M

Just easier...half the work.

Reply to
Rich.

depends what you mean by low-voltage. in the power industry low voltage is

230/110 v ac if that is what you have then it's the red live conductors you want be swit ching (making and breaking)... not the black neutral. the neutral is nomina lly at earth potential and can remain safely connected. if the break is in the black -neutral side then the lamps may appear off with the live (red) s till connected... which can be dangerous when changing lamps etc.
Reply to
Daniel

Thanks. It's 12v 1 amp LED strip lighting (the kind that comes on a roll).

Reply to
M-M