Mains wiring question (USA)

Actually, you don't need to look it at side ways for it to get dented, we get it delivered that way, or at least that's what the guys lead me onto believing!

Reply to
Jamie

No, emt is 1/16" thick and uses fittings, while rigid is 1/8" thick and is threaded.

Reply to
Rich.

John F., there is significant wall thickness differences between EMT, IMC, and GRC. NOT the same. For more see NEC articles 358 EMT, 342 IMC, and 344 RMC. Or use your favorite search engine with the added info i just provided.

Reply to
JosephKK

Bob E seems to have left the discussion.I Hope he uses coded mAterials and the proper conduit for the run he is attempting.... The engineering machine seems to have gotten into a piss match with the inspector. I did get it's smarts revolving the serviced entrance being the location n use.Why did he even have to ask? Who runs bare Cable, UF or Romex over a wooden surface, wasn't it outlawed in the electrical safety code updates.

RR

Reply to
Randy Roentgen

e:

Specifically Romex, UF ect. for Exterior Locations is a No No.. The Exception being Temporary Wiring for Lighting et al. RR

Reply to
Randy Roentgen

Reply to
John Fields

EMT is widely used in the electrical trade. It is adequate for almost all uses.

Rigid is not used very often.

There is conduit that is between rigid and EMT in wall thickness - IMC

- intermediate metal conduit. It is probably used more than rigid.

None of these need nail plates when they are near the edge of a stud. Neither dies rigid PVC conduit. Apparently the NEC considers them to be reasonable protection.

I don't see how any of these, in particular PVC or EMT, would be any problem in the OP's application.

Reply to
bud--

I know it is the law but I never really understood how RNC (PVC) is protection against a screw gun or a nail.

Reply to
gfretwell

Deflects the nail? Contains the fire? ;-)

Reply to
krw

The law on electrical safety codes sometimes Generalizes terms and applications., on that case a general application will require separate added adheres to meet All The Safety Requirements. Experience dictates that common sense and a eye for detail as you express here is better than just a General Safety Rule of Thumb.

One item in a Job List may compromise another and it is back to the drawing board if A Quick Reference Guide is not available...I suspect the OP has come here for that.

RR

Reply to
Randy Roentgen

It sure is, inside buildings. Once you go outside it tends to be RMC (aka GRC). Though rigid PVC (aka RNC) is quite common also.

My experience is different.

I hardly ever see that used.

If you want to get specific about the case i can look it up in my copy. I have 2005 here at home and 2008 at work.

Reply to
JosephKK

This is probably what you are thinking about (300.4(A)(1) is a similar rule about bored holes)

300.4(A)(2) Notches in Wood. Where there is no objection because of weakening the building structure, in both exposed and concealed locations, cables or raceways shall be permitted to be laid in notches in wood studs, joists, rafters, or other wood members where the cable or raceway at those points is protected against nails or screws by a steel plate at least 1.6 mm (1/16 in.) thick, and of appropriate length and width, installed to cover the area of the wiring. The steel plate shall be installed before the building finish is applied.

Exception No. 1: Steel plates shall not be required to protect rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.

Reply to
gfretwell

ote:

Randy Type UF cable, that is Sunlight resistant, is perfectly acceptable outdoors. It is very commonly used under decks, behind gutters & downspouts, and anywhere else were it's appearance is acceptable to the owner and it is not subjected to physical damage from such things as materials handling, lawn care equipment, motor vehicle movement and so fourth. Multi conductor type UF is only available as sunlight resistant so that is seldom an issue. Single conductor type UF is only intended for use underground or in raceway when above ground and is not presently manufactured in sizes smaller than four American Wire Gage. You are correct in saying that Romex, or any other brand of Type NM cable for that matter is not permitted outdoors but running it inside a roofing assembly does not make it an outdoor use.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne

I see a lot more EMT on the outside of buildings than rigid, unless you are near the ground where the pipe may be hit by cars.

I seldom saw rigid on the construction projects I was on. It is good for some uses, like hazardous - gas stations, refineries....

Digging out a construction estimator, rigid is about twice the cost, installed, as EMT.

No need to look it up - I know what the NEC says. It is what gfretwell posted, which is the same as what I said.

-- bud--

Reply to
bud--

PVC does seem somewhat less protective. A drywall mechanic would probably be smart enough to stop and relocate when the screw did not drive in. Would be interesting what the relative resistance is for nail guns between EMT and PVC.

Bottom line is if there were dead bodies the NEC would have changed.

-- bud--

Reply to
bud--

The usual good information from Tom.

The usual bad information from Randy, aka Proteus, aka Roy, aka Roy Quijano.

-- bud--

Reply to
bud--

I doubt you would feel PVC pipe with a screw gun and a nail gun will shoot through both of them . You would need a direct hit on the EMT or hit it after aligning the nail in a little wood. Nail guns are simply awesome when it comes to available power. They will shoot nails into concrete.

gfretwell

He says if we

strips wherever

omex seems the

Yawnnnn... oh Budkins get a life.., Everyone is Roykins to you. You sound just like the Trolls that accosted this group..He owe you something?

RR

Reply to
Randy Roentgen

trips wherever

I don't want to start a pissing match over this, but It is illegal for any outdoor use in major cities, you country folk and rural or suburban home owners wouldn't know this.

It is hilarious the way they drape it over the sides of their homes., like it is ok.

RR

Reply to
Randy Roentgen

He says if we

strips wherever

omex seems the

Actually I have it from good authority that they have Proteus on LockDown doing surveilannce on the ISS and some thermal imagery on some classified locations, probably not on earth... Roy is a mystery, as far as I know...best left alone unless you want to see hardcore G-men in action :)

RR

Reply to
Randy Roentgen