PAT testing

Hello,

We have a lot of new PC's that we need to get PAT tested before they are installed. We have a box of power leads that will be used with the new PC's. Do we need to test each PC with its own lead or can we just give the tester a box of leads to test and not have to move each PC to a sutiable location to be tested?

Thanks,

Matt.

Reply to
mattjamiesonuk

If you are in the UK do an Internet search for PAT testing and contact a local tester. They normally come to your site and test the equipment there.

BillB

Reply to
billb

The PAT tester is coming here but does he need to test each indiviudal PC with a different lead of is it just the leads that are tested? Could he just test the leads without needing to turn on every PC?

Reply to
mattjamiesonuk

At one time it was common to treat the lead and PC as separate units, so each would be PAT tested in its own right as you can't guarantee a particular lead will stay with one PC.

Just watch you don't come in and find the mice and keyboards have PAT stickers on !

Reply to
Bill

Be careful not to perform a "Flash Test". This can fry the sensitive electronics.

Continuity Test and Insulation Test is all that is required and of course a though visual inspection.

Also, remember that the monitor should also be tested.

Kenneth Macaloney

When looking for someone who does PAT testing, do check the actual person doing the testing holds the C&G 2377/02 certificate in performing PAT testing to show they know what they're doing. One place I worked required the electrician to bring their certificate along on the first day, and kept a copy on record. Most electricians are not trained or qualified in PAT testing, and consequently do it completely wrongly. This often results in damaged IT equipment, and most faults which should give rise to failures being missed.

As you are someone organising/managing PAT testing, you would be well advised to take the C&G 2377/01 course in managing PAT testing. You might well decide after doing this that there is no need to PAT test new computer equipment in your environment, and if you have a programme in place to replace computers within

4 years, you could well justify never PAT testing them at all.

C&G 2377/01 and C&G 2377/02 are a day's course each followed by the exam. They are usually taken together on consecutive days, as there's a degree of overlap. Note that the C&G 2377/02 for actually performing PAT testing is specifically intended to be attainable by non-electricians. The idea is that in any moderately sized workplace, there's probably someone good with DIY electrics at home who also understands ohms law and the difference between milliohms and megohms, and they can easily be trained to perform PAT testing, so the workplace can have someone on-site who's up to the task. The HSE recognises C&G 2377/01 and C&G 2377/02 as evidence of competence to manage and perform PAT testing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel