Power Designs Bench PS: schematic?

Looking for schematic and/or manual for TP325 triple power supply. This is a

70's (?) lab bench supply. Like this:

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Why do you need the schematic? It is almost certainly going to be an absolutely bog-standard mains transformer followed by series pass linear regulators.

Reply to
Palindrome

  1. Learning. Education.
  2. If i toast a component, I hate reverse-engineering a schematic.
  3. And being a former tech writer, it's a disease, needing to have all docs on file. (c:
Reply to
DaveC

You do need the schematics (unless you are familiar with that particular design). Some supplies of that genre are fairly complicated.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I would add that one's need for a schematic for any circuit is inversely proportional to that person's expertise in the art of electrons.

Reply to
DaveC

I suspect people get something out of taking things apart. IN doing that, they make the piece of equipment less of a black box, and putting their hands on it when they can't hurt it (because they've decided it's junk already) takes away some of the fear.

Tracing the circuit is another way. There is fear of not knowing what's there, there is fear of some mystery circuit. Yet tracing the circuit gives you intimate contact with the unit. It's something as valuable as just taking junk apart, in devaluing the mystery.

And as he said, it's likely to be pretty standard. And that's one of the tricks of circuit tracing. Get a bit of information, and then make the assumption that it's a fairly standard circuit based on that information. So if it uses a certain IC, you look at the manufacturer's datasheet or application note for the device, and then use the "suggested circuit" and see if the unit's circuit matches that.

The beginner will always approach things in the "it must be a mystery, I need a schematic". But, it's not always beyond them, it's merely that they perceive a big first step. But the "oldtimer" who is capable in such things, they likely got capable because they got over that perceived need for a schematic, and they started signal tracing and making assumptions that the circuit will be fairly standard. Hence the move to an "oldtimer" can be shortened by making that step early.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black