Two Sided Tape Thermal Insulation for Sticking Batteries Together?

Can someone recommend a two sided tape that also has some thermal insulation properties? I am replacing 10 12V batteries in an APC Symmetra UPS battery enclosure and the batteries are grouped in five groups of two. Each set of two is stuck together using a two sided tape with some thickness to keep the batteries from heating each other. Can someone recommend a two sided tape that also acts as a spacer and thermal insulator? The Symmetra design sometimes overheats older batteries if you don't replace them soon enough, so I need the tape to stay intact and not burn in a very very hot environment (just planning for the worst case event). I was using velcro in one experiment, but that added a bit too much space between each battery.

Reply to
Will

Yeah. The last time I required a special two sided tape I cut out the middle man and rang Scotch direct, explained what was required and and had it in a couple of days.

Reply to
bealiba

The only Scotch two side tape I know about is about 1/64 inch thick and would hardly be called a thermal insulator or a spacer.

If you know of a particular model number of Scotch product that matches to requirements I would be appreciative to know what it is.

Reply to
Will

As far as battery pack tape is concerned, insulation is not even in the design criteria. They use double sided relatively thick tape because the battery sides are not perfectly flat and smooth. I've used "picture hanging tape", and I've used RTV Silicone. Both work. The RTV is harder to separate down the road. Some packs I've worked on have butyl rubber, like an inner tube, with contact type cement on both sides.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

How much space between batteries do you need, or can you tolerate?

There are thin foam pads with adhesive on both sides, maybe 1 or 2 mm thick. They should be available at most hardware stores.

If you are dealing with high temperatures (50°C or higher) you might want to contact a manufacturer's rep for something more suitable. The general purpose stuff might break down over time under such conditions.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Look, what I required was a two sided tape that was oil proof. Scotch was very helpful and provided the product I required. Give them a call, explain what you need and buy it. It's just not that hard.

Reply to
bealiba

I really doubt it's anything to do with batteries heating each other -- they both give off the same heat. The pads will just be to take up imperfections in the sides of the batteries and limit movement. They are far to small to generate a space for heat convection.

Batteries only last a few years in these applications anyway. They are handled roughly by the charging circuits (supposedly to ensure they are ready for another discharge cycle really quickly, but I've never understood why that requires continuous overcharging).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel