US system is not as inefficient as I once thought

I've known for some time now that the Europeans use 230 volts and that we Americans use 120 volts for most household items and 240 volts for large appliances. Even though I've never really given it much thought, I've always imagined that the US system is somewhat less efficient than the European system because of the lower voltage and higher amperages that our electrical devices have use to compensate for the lower voltage. But I was talking to an electrician the other day and he told me that this is not really the case between the breaker box and the transformer. According to him, if all the

120 volt loads that are connected to one hot leg exactly matched the loads that are connected to the other, it would be as if half the loads were connected in series with the other half. At the same time, you would find that the neutral is not carrying any current at all. In the real world, some of the current does have to pass through the neutral since the loads being imposed on both legs are not perfectly balanced. But most of the current that's delivered to our homes comes as 240 volts through the hot wires because of this effect. This would also explain why a double receptacle circuit with a shared neutral wire doesn't have to use a neutral wire that can accommodate the amperages of both 120 volt hot wires.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Calvert

So.. what about all that extra copper you have to run to get *two* hot wires?.. How does that make it more "efficient"?? All it does is give you more choice..

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

You could probably balance that with the extra secondary copper European countries use with their central transformers serving a bunch of customers. Usually a US customer has the pole pig serving them on the right of way in front of their home. Typically a transformer only serves 2 or 3 homes, within

50-100 feet of the pole. Street distribution will be a big voltage.
Reply to
Gfretwell

I imagine that this is only partly true. But I wonder if any European has ever thought that they could make their own electrical services better and more efficient by using two 230 volt legs with 460 volts between legs. A breaker box using this system could be wired up exactly like an American breaker box except that individual circuits would use 230 volts instead 120.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Calvert

I dunno about the Europeans, but 2-phase power (or 3-phase if you really want it) is readily available over here from the 440V 3-phase running down the street.

Some older houses use 2-phase for electric hot water or stove/oven units, but most houses use only single-phase so that is all they get connected. Many people use 3-phase in their garages to run welders/air-compressors and the like.

Does that make the Aussie system better than the Yankee system?? Surely not.. ;-)

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

message

It might. But the best system doesn't exist anywhere as far as I know. I've always entertained the idea of just ditching the final step-down transformer completely and running the 4,000 or 5,000 volts directly into the appliances and other household loads. Obviously, all the circuit breakers would have to be GFCI protected to make such a system safe. And, of course, all manufacturers of 120/240 volt devices would have to adapt their products. But this would be quite a bit less expensive than the big fat wires that we have to use right now to carry high amperages. If a 5,000 volt service was supplying your house with electricity, the electrical wire that enters your house wouldn't be much bigger than your telephone wire.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Calvert

The electrical wire that enters your house might not be much bigger than your telephone wire, but the insulation surrounding it certainly would!!

The biggest problem with your idea is the voltage potential:

  1. Appliance manufacturers would need to design their gear with larger arc gaps between the supply and the surrounding gear - hence everything would become larger and more expensive.
  2. The distance that the arc could jump would require a complete re-design of *everything* between your power pole and your TV set (including the TV set! ;-).

Hardly the best system..

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

I read in sci.engr.electrical.compliance that Robert Calvert wrote (in ) about 'US system is not as inefficient as I once thought', on Tue, 30 Sep 2003:

The extra copper involved is your neutral. Your 'two hot wires' correspond to the European live and neutral.

The European distribution system is quite different from that in US. Power is distributed *extensively* as 3-phase 230/400 V. There may be

500 customers on one MV/LV or HV/LV transformer. In US, power is distributed extensively at MV (several kV) and small transformers feed 1 to maybe 4 customers.

Converting a European distribution network to effectively a six-phase system would be vastly expensive, and there are serious safety issues with 460 V supplies in the home. One advantage of the 120 V supply is that a shock from it is not so likely to be fatal.

Reply to
John Woodgate

Hang on a sec.. Excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that there is no neutral in the US 120/240V system?

What's the return path? Ground??

Thanks, Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

A bit of history as I understand it (corrections welcom!)

The US has 110 volts because the original light bulb (invented by Thomas Edison in the USA) ran on 110 volts DC, and when we converted to AC we kept that voltage so that everyone wouldn't have to buy new light bulbs.

Nicola Tesla (the genius) made careful calculations and measurements and decided that 240 volts at 60 Hz. was the best voltage and frequency for AC power.

Many European countries modified Tesla's 240 volts to 220 volts so that you could use two 110 volt bulbs in series, while in the US they changed the 110 volts to 120 volts so that two 120 volt bulbs in series would run on 240 volts.

The engineers who built the first generating facility in Europe decided that 60 Hz. didn't fit the metric standard unit sequence (1,2,5), so they insisted on 50 Hz. (Westinghouse was pushing 133 Hz at the time...)

One reference I checked says that 50 Hz is around 20% less effective in generation, 10 to 15% less efficient in transmission, and requires up to 30% larger windings and magnetic core materials in transformer construction. I believe that electric motors are also less efficient at 50 Hz, but don't quote me on that one - I am working from memory.

What I don't have is a reference that tells me whether the loss of efficiency from 50 Hz. is lager than the gain from

220/240v. It's an apples and oranges comparison, of course..
Reply to
Guy Macon

That would give you 230v to earth, which is a larger danger than 120V.

My home laboratory is wired with balanced 60v out of phase legs to hot and neutral. This greatly reduces electrical noise.

Reply to
Guy Macon

This supply type was used for some farms in the UK in the case where only a single phase HV supply was available to the final stepdown transformer. It would not be installed today, and it was never the preferred option AFAIK. Farm machinary was often available in 480V versions specifically for this supply type.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

European has not though of this for the reason that three phase power feeding is here very typical way to distribute power. A typical electrical distirbution panel get in three phase power: three phase conductors and one neutral/ground.

There is 230V from one live to neutral. And 400V between two live wires.

In ideal three phase power where all single phase loads are similar the neutral current is zero. In case of not so evenly loaded loads, the neutral current is from zero to one phase current maximum.

Normal household loads are single phase. Large loads use three phase power.

This is well working and efficient way to distribute power.

Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

I read in sci.engr.electrical.compliance that Cameron Dorrough wrote (in ) about 'US system is not as inefficient as I once thought', on Tue, 30 Sep 2003:

Of course there is. It is the neutral which is the extra conductor needed in the US system compared with the European single-phase system.

Reply to
John Woodgate

I don't know.. but I would love to go there for a few years or so to find out!

Anyone from down under wanna pay for a grant for a Yank to come and watch the electrons flow?

Pretty sure I could watch them from the beach most of the time! :o)

Reply to
C What I Mean

Yet. I'm working on inventing wireless electricity. ;-)

Reply to
Matt

Technically you are correct, but in Europe we use 230/400V (three phases) which balances out in the same way. It saves even more on the wires than the center-tapped single phase.

(After the transformer, that is. Ahead of the transformer, with thousands of volts, it's an entirely different matter.)

/Clas-Henrik

Reply to
C-H Gustafsson

Yeah, a #24 neutral! All I have to do to make toast is make sure the hair dryer is running on the other circut. Good observation.

Reply to
Johan Lexington

The US system uses 600 volt wire, so the voltage could be upped if there is a need in the future to add more power. All 120 volt circuits could be converted to 240 volts without installing new wire.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

[snip]

Don't forget to factor in the efficiency gains for running large motor loads on 3 phase.

Question: Are appliances with large motors (refrigerators, etc.) available in a 3 phase, 400V option in Europe?

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.