welder 220v europe - rewire for use on 220v north america

Hello all,

new to welding and actually just moved to France from Canada. Have some projects I want to take on (basically looking for a new hobby).

I was wondering, if I purchase a welder in France 220V 50/60hz "monophase", could I wire it to work with the 220V oven or dryer receptacles in Canada, when I return, or will the welder be junk?

thanks for any help

cm

Reply to
CM

I don't see why it would not work. I doubt you would need any rewiring other than an adapter plug.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

Yep Canadian Hydro will work as well as French Nuclear.

However, a normal ac arc welder will weigh so much that you might easily find it cheaper to sell it and buy another when you return to Canada, rahter than pay shipping.

It might just be worth taking an expensive one back but, if you don't take to the hobby could leave you badly out of pocket.

I suggest signing up for a local college welding course and try a range of different plant, eg gas, arc, MIG,TIG, etc. You can probably have look at plasma cutting and maybe have a go at that too, plus try gas and gasless. And/or hire a few different machines for a day each and see what is right for you. If you do end up buying a TIG inverter system, then it will work fine - although usually people bring plant from Canada/USA to Europe as it is cheaper across the pond.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Thanks for you responses.

However, it is unclear to me how I would rewire a single phase 220V to the canadian 2 phase 220v connector. If memory served me correctly the canadian and usa oven plugs have 4 wires (2 hot, neutral and ground) , whereas europe

220V is 1 hot 220V, a neutral and a ground.
Reply to
CM

there is no requirement that the neutral wire be used in the US 3 system. Its there if its needed to provide 115V power if needed. Its often not used for this type of equipment.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

Two phase in this case is a mis-nomer. It is called two phase in some parts of the world, but it is single phase.

Reply to
No Spam

technically 2 phase is an entirely different electrical system entirely. its no longer used much anymore.

comm>> Thanks for you responses.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

Canada. Have some

hobby).

50/60hz "monophase",

receptacles in Canada,

It will be fine... due to variables in frequency etc you may have to modify the settings you use to weld various thicknesses etc..but thats a given regardless.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

phase 220V to the

correctly the canadian

, whereas europe

Check with yer local welding supply in canada. In the US our 220 is two hot legs. 220 between them, and a ground in most cases. (each will read 110 to ground)

In the US I would simply buy a cord cap to match what is existing on site... wire it both hot leads to the 220 running to the machine (your hot leg and the neutral), and a separate ground. But dont take that as advice, double check it locally in Canada.

There could be issues with frame to ground voltage readings...that would be a big problem. You will want to check that regardless.

Phil Scott

message

Canada. Have some

hobby).

50/60hz

receptacles in

you might easily

to Canada,

if you don't

and try a range

probably have

plus try gas and

each and see

inverter system,

plant from

Reply to
Phil Scott

| However, it is unclear to me how I would rewire a single phase 220V to the | canadian 2 phase 220v connector. If memory served me correctly the canadian | and usa oven plugs have 4 wires (2 hot, neutral and ground) , whereas europe | 220V is 1 hot 220V, a neutral and a ground.

The only risk that exists is if the French welder assumes one of the wires at 230 volts is grounded, and uses it in some way relative to ground. Such a design would have its hazards regardless, so this should not normally be done.

In North America, the 2 pole 1 phase system has 240 volts between the

2 poles, with ground in the middle. If the transformer primary is connected to the 2 wires and nothing else is connected, it will be fine. If it is rated 50/60 Hz, it is very likely expected by its manufacturer to be used on any power system in the world (at the proper voltage, which should be fine anywhere from 200 to 240 volts).

Added electrical "smarts" might be another story. But again, since it is rated for 50/60 Hz, they probably considered the issue.

I wish more American products would be designed to work on 2-wire only electrical power at the 240 volt range.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam