What is the best aluminum for heat sink?

A friend is making a spacer to go between a tab on a device and a heat sink. The total thickness will be about 0.25 inch (6 mm?). Of course thermal grease will be used at both matings.

I've been asked what kind of aluminum.

What (in descending order of preference) are the aluminum types that would be good raw material for this?

Thanks.

Reply to
Usual Suspect

Aluminum extrusions - may be not much less than that of "poured aluminum", which has heat conductivity of 161 w/m-k.

Die-cast zinc-aluminum alloy - 127 for "ZA-27", 115 for "ZA-8". Die-cast zinc "zamak" - 113 w/m-k Die-cast die-castable aluminum alloy - 96.2 w/m-k Annealed brass - 61 w/m-k

Extruded copper - 300 w/m-k Extruded aluminum - 200 w/m-k

6061 aluminum alloy - 166 w/m-k, if I correctly translated from

6061 aluminum alloy - 180 w/m-k

(There are heat-treated versions of 6061 including T4 and T6, which have mildly increased electrical resistivity, and I suspect also slightly decreased thermal conductivity.)

If this spacer has to conduct several 10's of watts or more and every degree matters, I say make it out of copper or silver.

Otherwise, extruded aluminum, poured aluminum and 6061 are close enough to each other for "best aluminum", and I expect ordinary aluminum plate and bar stock (to be machined into shape) to be similar.

Don Klipstein

All of the above.

You'll lose more delta-T at the mating surfaces than in the aluminum, most likely. Matweb

should have thermal conductivities.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

All aluminum alloys have approximately the same conductivity (thermal and electrical). Pure aluminum (1199 is the purest) is maybe 20% higher conductivity than 356, 6061, 7075, etc.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Addendum: all metallic alloys have higher resistivity (thermal and electrical) than either pure metal. For instance, sterling silver is more resistive than either silver or copper. I suppose aluminum alloys are fairly surprising in that regard, as they are still fairly conductive.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Actually, I found it to vary quite a bit. Pure being best.

Copper is the one that I found remains the same, regardless of how wrought, and well into some alloys.

Regular 6061 T6 is 21% lower than pure Al in thermal speak.

Reply to
SuspendedInGaffa

Better look again. Even Al suffers a hit, once the lattice, she is split.

Reply to
SuspendedInGaffa

Do you have a choice ? If so, the alloy with the best thermal conductivity.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The mating surface should be as flat as possible. Many cheap extrusions fail this test. Using formed sheet material is very effective.

See Motorola's ( now On Semi's ) AN1040 IIRC for good thermal advice.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

copper is better. aluminium is cheaper. pure is better than alloy.

the less gap you get at each join the better, so a flat mirror finish on all surfaces is is ideal.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

copper is better. aluminium is cheaper. pure is better than alloy.

the less gap you get at each join the better, so a flat mirror finish on all surfaces is good.

Metal is much much better than heatsink paste so if you can solder or weld the spacer to the heatsink (with the apropriate solder and tools) so much the better.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I have seen devices with poor flatness. I have polished some things. Getting flat is hard.

greg

Reply to
GregS

'Ya know, if you can clamp the assembly quite tightly (or even apply some persuation as a part of assembly), you could use pure aluminum to fill the space, no grease. It's soft stuff, about like lead. Oh, and use springy washers too, I suppose...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Isn't that exactly what he's asking?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When I was in college I was able to achieve significant flatness fairly consistently, given enough beer and other things.

I don't like being that flat any more, though.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

"> Addendum: all metallic alloys have higher resistivity (thermal and

Well except for super conductors where some alloys are better.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

So long as the beer isn't flat that's fine :-)

We flatten worn oilstones, used for sharpening wood chisels and so on, by rubbing them with dry sand on a melamine board. Throw some sand on the board and rub the oilstone on top until all the hollows are gone - noisy and takes a little time but it does the trick.

Something similar ought to work for heatsinks

Reply to
Stuart

The best aluminum is copper!

After that, check the thermal conductivity of various alloys. They can vary a lot.

And make the spacer big to spread the heat laterally.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

If you have access to a milling machine, it's easy to mill a surface flat. Aluminum machines really nicely.

Reply to
James Sweet

Now they just show you how to use an inexpensive surface grinder without embedding the shards of a 3600 RPM stone in your forehead.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany