What is the purspose of pre-tinned wire?

In the telecom industry the rule is "silver on silver". Back in the bad old days there could be problems with diss-simmilar metals corroding & creating noise on circuits both from rectification effects & from current punch-through across the junction when voltage was applied to the circuit, i.e. "going off-hook". In some cases "sealing" current was (& still is) applied on a constant basis to circuits that didn't require it for operation, just to keep junction corrosion from getting bothersome.

Although not part of the original Bellcore standard I've actually speced tinned wire for T1 circuits going into areas I knew were going going to be climate controlled.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Are you certain that its tinned wire you are looking at and not nickel-plated copper? That is often used for high temp applications where the copper alone will oxidize.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Silver does not oxidize so much as it tarnishes, by picking up sulfur from the air.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Same thing. Chemically, it's oxidation. Silver cleaners/polishes are reducing agents (eg, Tarn-X).

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Folks in this discussion need to define "pre-tinned".

There is TPC wire, which is individual TIN plated Copper strands made into mutli-stranded wire in the same process as any other stranded wire.

There is SPC, which is individual Silver plated Copper strands.

It was always my understanding that "pre-tinned" wire was stranded wire that was run through a solder bath and tinned similarly as the 'tinning' one would give the end of a wire in a solder pot.

If the wire is this type, it is used in certain industries to reduce production labor costs. It is specifically NOT used in certain other industries due to the problems associated with cinched type termination processes and an effect known as 'solder creep'.

TPC is TIN plated, not solder plated. Just like it states.

"Pre-tinned wire" IS processed using solder.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

Sorry, but TPC wire was already RoHS compliant. All the idiots had to do is change the label. TIN is TIN. It doesn't say "SPC" (Solder PLated Wire)... It SAYS TPC TIN Plated Wire. Pretty simple.

SPC (Silver, of course) is better anyway... particularly from a shelf life POV.

I hate TPC wire that has been around too long. The crap won't even take solder. Give me SPC any day. The cost difference is negligible, if one weighs the added labor cost of dealing with poor quality TPC, which nearly all of it is.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

That's why one should use SPC, which is Silver plated Copper.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

Wrong. The customer gets what the customer buys. If all YOU were exposed to was SPC TFE, the THAT was ALL your employer was buying, you dope. TPC was just as prevalent, despite the fact that it sucks on so many levels.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

Tinned plated wire shouldn't have issues with solder how ever, electro plated may which is normally used more in cases of screw terminals and crimp fasteners.

"

Reply to
Jamie

With the sole exclusion of anything related to a nuclear reactor.

Teflon turns to powder in that environment, and they (Genral Atomics)do not use it in such settings. You will see it used on the Predator, however.

Also, purified Silver Oxide, made in the lab, conducts better than the element itself does. Silver oxide on wires, and other conductive surfaces creates a protective 'patina' on the surfaces that are exposed to the air. In wiring, it does not affect the overall conductivity of the wire. In the lab, it is the top dog.

Most conductive element: Silver

Most conductive compound: Silver Oxide

Reply to
Mr. Haney

Silver oxide is acceptable. It remains as a mechanical part of the surface, and does not adversely affect conductivity.

Copper oxide is an unacceptable CRUST on your wire.

That is one reason why Sivler was used to plate copper wires.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

Tarnish IS oxide, you dope. Silver oxidizes, it just doesn't grow a crust like Copper does, regardless of whatever other elements it grabs while doing it.

You are thinking of Copper.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

There are grades of plating, just like there are grades of say hard anodizing surface thickness for Aluminum, which affects its insulative capacity (electrical).

Reply to
Mr. Haney

"Mr. Haney" "Phil Allison"

** Wot utterly irrelevant drivel.
** Shame it does not even exist on silver objects or wires.

** Absolute BOLLOCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dark tarnish seen on silver is silver sulphide ( Ag2S ) - which is an insulator.

Hanley is just parroting one of the DUMBEST MYTHS floating around the internet and swallowed whole by audiophools.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It is likely SPC and is Mil grade. There is no such thing as "audio grade". You have been talking to too many consumer electronics salespersons.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

"Mr. Haney the Dickwad "

** But non existent on wires etc.

** Since it does not exist on wire surfaces, that is true.

Hanley is a TOTAL MORON !!!

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Tin plated wire is notorious for NOT taking solder, especially when it is inside teflon.

An even worse type is HV wire that is TPC on PTFE. It is worth whatever the difference is to buy SPC, because THAT ALWAYS takes solder.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

One of the only true things I have ever seen you state.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

"Mr. Haney"

** Shame it does not even exist on silver objects or wires.

** Absolute BOLLOCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dark tarnish seen on silver is silver sulphide ( Ag2S ) - which is an insulator.

Hanley is just parroting one of the DUMBEST MYTHS floating around the internet and swallowed whole by audiophools.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It has NOTHING to do with audio you retarded twit, and neither do I.

I never made ANY reference to audio EVER in ANY of my responses to ANYONE.

I am referring to the days when I made RF chokes from Solid SPC wire. And the prevalent use of it in military radios and other military gear. I do not expect a dope like you to have a clue, being that you are from a place that gets all its military gear from its allies.

Reply to
Mr. Haney