What Type Of Surge Protected House Circuit Breaker ?

Hello:

Will probably be replacing a standard house circuit breaker with a surge protectot circuit breaker to provide protection for a furnace board that seems to be pretty succeptible to lightning strikes (please see my previous post). The furnace runs off a dedicated 15 amp line, protected by its own breaker in the main house panel.

Apparently they come in two flavors.

One being the standard "surge protector," and the other type a "transient voltage surge protector".

They both seem to be available incorporated into 15 amp circuit breakers that fit in the main house panel box.

Which do I probably want ?

Why ? What are the differences re protection, etc. ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Use a whole house protector instead. It goes in the panel like a dual circuit breaker, and protects both both hot legs. You also want a *good* grounding electrode system. And bond your ductwork.

As to differences between devices, you'll need to read the specs for each device you consider.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I have never seen a panel surge arrestor in a 15 amp breaker.

lot of folks inter change the two words frequently

This page has the "breaker" type of protector that I installed. All panel manufactures make them now days.

Panel installed with out wires are better cause the distance from the TVSS to the buss is shorter. No bigger wire has little effect on transients.

I also have plug strips TVSS that are at the point of use.

You will have to asses your risk and get what you need. Do not forget to protect the cable, Sat and Telco wiring. Odds are nothing you install will help on a direct/near strike.

I drive an auxiliary ground rod 10 feet way from the primary ground rod. I try to get the lowest ohm path that I can.

Reply to
SQLit

Siemens QSA1515.

Reply to
w_tom

I will be a blue nosed gopher.

Thanks, for the lead.

I will stick to the dedicated products instead of combos like this.

Reply to
SQLit