300 kW EV Tractor vs 400 hp Diesel

Then start another thread.

This thread is about electric tractors. I thought I made that clear.

You need to get some medication for your attention deficit disorder.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

More like two winches with 1 mile wire each (connected in series). One winch unrolls along the side of the field, The other unrolls over the field towards the tractor. Just need a system to make sure the field wire stays high above the tractor (so it does not accidentally get cut).

300 kW that you need).

As long as they stay withing reasonable limits. Which should be OK for (standard) 11kV AC distribution power line and a few miles of cable.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Dekker

Bret,

You know that I appreciate your input in this newsgroup, but there is something that I think you should take to heart :

You postulate an idea here on sci.energy, with the (probable) reason to get comments and feedback from fellow newsgroup visitors.

When these people give you feedback or stipulate possible inefficiencies and problems with your idea, there is no need to attempt to prove them wrong or offend them if they simply slightly disagree with your exact thought process.

In fact, it starts to look like you simply are looking for conflict, which eventually destroys some of the good parts in your ideas.

If you cannot handle any criticism at all, maybe it is better if you just start a company that implements your idea, rather than bother sci.energy visitors with it. Then you can prove everyone wrong.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Dekker

Ignoring the other glaring errors in your post and concentrating only on this part, you are projecting the cost of hydrocarbon fuel to continue to spiral up and at the same rate.

A few questions for you:

1) How many oil future contracts do you own? Surely if you believe what you post here you must spend every spare penny you own in the crude futures market buying up all that you can. 2) Where is your calculation on what the price of electricity will be when everything switches over as you advocate? I haven't seen anyone address the fact that when the demand for electricity far outweighs the supply then it's price will skyrocket much much faster than hydrocarbon fuels. 3) If we are to power everything with electricity as you suggest here and elsewhere, how will the power be generated? Do you advocate building more fossil fuel power plants or do you advocate nuclear plants? Or do you have some untried, unproven type of power?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Reply to
John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

The Russians use some conflict oriented approach to problem solving but that's generally not my first choice.

I welcome critical feedback for several reasons:

  1. I'm better prepared when I approach someone who might be interested in actually doing something. Often you only get one chance.

  1. I often overlook real concerns that can be corrected.

  2. Others can often help me work around my concerns, i. e., your mentioning the high cycling battery.

  1. I don't suffer from an idea block so there's no reason for me to persue something that won't work.

But when the responses are utterly useless as feedback, i. e., a huge current or battery is impossible or a loose wire could be a danger to life and limb, and, even worse, the disreputable issue dodging -- I have yet to get any reasoning on how the grid-battery tractor would be fundamentally different than the Volt or any other series hybrid or EV

-- then there's no reason not to call a spade a spade.

The reality is there is no polite response to the suggestion that furrows cannot be circular. Everyone in every industrial country with photo magazines knows about terraced agriculture or contour plowing because of their appeal to photographers. How dumb does a poster have to be to _not_ understand that the curved furrows could continue to curve into a circle?

In those cases you just call the moron a moron.

Eventually I get bored with the white noise but as a populist I must at least initially encourage everyone to participate.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

So you are now arguing _for_ farm electrification?

Still dodging?

Here, we'll try again:

Why not save money by having them sit in electric tractors in the field instead?

. . .

Then what was all the whining about wasting time recharging out in the field?

. . .

That's your "mathematical" argument?

It's "huge?"

You don't even know what "quantitative" means.

Are you just acting dumb or are you really this stupid in real life?

Here, we'll try again. Those "huge" currents are 1/30th those of an electric locomotive.

This time no dodgin' 'n dodgin'.

. . .

Notice the dodge?

Here we'll try again:

The Tesla charger was for the typical household, not an industrial or farm application.

The issue was the Tesla charger is for household wiring.

You tried to dodge it.

. . .

Notice the dodge?

Here we'll try again:

Can you tell us what you think is a pertinent difference?

A "huge" current is a mathematical argument?

Are you just acting dumb or are you really this stupid in real life?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Do you mean to say "pursue" or "peruse" or something different?

Actually, several people have commented correctly on battery issues of importance, which you choose to naysay. You would have people believe you are very intelligent, but you aren't; you're narrow minded, refusing to do any real study/research. From these threads and others I researched, I perceive you to view yourself as an "idea man." I see much flim flam in your actions.

I doubt anyone would fail to see it, but you created a "you vs. them" issue of it anyhow. Typical flim flam. The *real* question, the one you don't like, is - Is it practical to farm in circles even when fields are extremely large rectangles. With no research you have answered "yes," because a "no" answer could be anathema to your project.

I imagine a farmer working his fields, including some hilly ridges, even plowed a few circles. Some farmers are artistic and enjoy a bit of fun, and have been known to create some clever patterns. And none of this has anything to do with supporting your plans for circular fields. Do it or don't but this still isn't the newsgroup to argue the non-issue.

Ok. Your a moron. Feel better now?

It has been obvious that you think yourself to be above the "common folk." Adopting the populist title certifies it.

What is also clear is that you do not wish to do any of your own study of the elements involved in your Grand Plan, so you blunder along hoping everything will fall into place. It rarely works.

Reply to
Don Bowey

(snip)

Same back to you...... No dodging. You raised the electric locomotive variable, so tell us: When that (diesel) electric locomotive is towing a train, how many horsepower is it generating? And tell us how many cars are in the train, and is it on the flat or is there some grade.

Then we can consider the 1/30th as HP

Only specifics are useable. What is the charging voltage AND current. Is the charge taking place via a cable or by the Tesla (inductive coupled) charger?

(snip)

Reply to
Don Bowey

Reply to
John Fields

for one pass (5 min each way), then the field is no

kW that you need).

Reply to
John Fields

for one pass (5 min each way), then the field is no

kW that you need).

Reply to
John Fields

. . .

Because they are long haul, over a hundred miles in many cases. The quarter square tractor trolly line only needs to go half a mile.

Are you just acting dumb or are you really this stupid in real life?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Half a mile from where? An electrical outlet conveniently located in the middle of 800 acres of corn field?

Please refresh us on your background in electrical engineering, and in farming.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

minutes for one pass (5 min each way), then the field is no

he 300 kW that you need).

Not that your numbers are any good -- electric motors are 95% efficient and don't need to "idle" at the end of the field for 15 minutes while the farmer gets ready for the next pass -- but what is the conclusion when the cost of diesel goes up 30% a year, more than enough to wipe out the 27% loss?

Are you suggesting we should wait another year before designing the system?

Are you just acting dumb or are you really this stupid in real life?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

minutes for one pass (5 min each way), then the field is no

he 300 kW that you need).

Why doesn't this apply to hybrid road motor vehicles?

You keep dodging that issue and you expect to get better results.

If you are incapable of reasoning and facing the reality that hybrids exist, then all the "calculations" in the world are useless.

You were doing just as good using the word "huge."

Are you just acting stupid or are you really this dumb in real life?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill