Does Bleach 'Evaporate'??

We recently moved into a house that has a septic system. The killer is that you can't use any type of bleach in the laundry, etc. because that would kill the beneficial bacteria in the septic system.

My problem is this. There is a bathtub/jacuzi (SP?) that drains into the septic system. Apparently, the previous owners never used it because when we tried it, a bunch of flakes came out of the jets. Now, these appear to be mineral deposits rather than mold or bacteria because the flakes that were left in the bottom of the tub did not change size or shape after a few days of being dry.

I want to 'purge' the tub without doing harm to the septic tank. I thought about filling the tub with water and dumping a gallon of bleach into it and runing ti for a while. If the bleach would 'evaporate' (like amonia will) then I could run it, let the tub sit for a while (over night??) and then drain the tub the next day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply to
Rileyesi
1) you CAN use bleach with a septic system -- just don't overuse it and you can "replenish" the beneficial bacterial with bacterial additives if necessary 2) bleach does not "evaporate", however with time the oxygen will work free from the sodium hypochlorite leaving sodium chloride (a.k.a., table salt) 3) you indicate you believe the deposits are mineral not bacterial, if so, why use bleach at all? Vinegar or (if you can find it anymore) diluted muriatic acid (a.k.a., hydrochloric acid) would be more appropriate for mineral deposit removal
Reply to
Kevin G. Rhoads

appropriate

I'll second your comments. Bleach has never hurt my septic system and mineral deposits, probably carbonates, would yield to acid. Another cleaner we use for stains and deposits is Iron Out. Also no effect on septic system. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo