Electrical isolating, thermal conductive material

Hi,

Can anybody help me find a material that is an isolator for electricity and that conducts heat?

It has to be "sandwiched" between a PCB (electronical printed circuit board) and an aluminium holder.

It also needs to be machinable, cheap (if possible ;-) ) and obtainable.

Thanks in advance!

Greets, Johan

Reply to
joble

Commercially available material: Gap Pad by Bergquist. We use VO Ultra soft. It is a two ply silicone, one of low durometer to fill in and conform around the PCB, the other a harder version with embedded fiberglass mat for puncture resistance. They have a variety of materials available.

Gap_Pad_Tables/Gap_Pad_Comparison_Table.pdf

Mark

Reply to
MLclan

If you require an insulating ceramic, I suggest either BeO (beryllium oxide) or AlN (aluminum nitride), both commercially available and machinable by grinding/polishing (for BeO, let the vendor do the machining, since the dust is toxic). Either material will give you much improved thermal conductivity over alumina or quartz.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Kiehne

Although I can't suggest a material that meets your specs, I can point y= ou =

to a web site that may be helpful:

You can enter materi= al =

property limits (i.e. Thermal conductivity > X and Electrical resistivit= y =

< Y) and their material property database will be searched for matches.
Reply to
dvt