Hard Silver Solder

Hi,

I work in a UHV chamber typically around low 10-9 Torr. Can I use hard silver solder for parts to be put into this chamber? The composition of this solder is 56% Ag, 22% Cu, 17% Zn. From what I know, Ag and Cu in a UHV environment is OK. But is Zn likely to outgas a lot? Anyone have any experience with this?

FYI, the silver solder our machine shop uses is form Harris Products Group, Safety-Silv 56

Thanks very much.

-Raman Grad Student, Physics Michigan State Univ, US.

Reply to
UEC Guy

Yes you can use hard silver solder, but not one which contains zinc as it will outgas a lot. Harris would probably recommend a zinc free alternative suitable for your application if you ask them.

Reply to
Glen Walpert

Brr. Putting a torch on anything containing zinc wouldn't be my first choice even for bicycle repair--zinc vapour is _not_ good for you.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Any lead-free solder is prone to whisker growth. Whisker growth is often faster in vacuum. I wouldn't expect outgassing to be an issue, but I haven't experience with this alloy, provided you clean flux residues thoroughly.

But whiskers, that's likely the issue. ALthough people typically think "tin whiskers", zinc is notoriously prone to whisker growth also (became a problem in computing rooms with raised floors where the flooring used zinc-plated steel supporting members. Zinc whiskers would grow, break off and circulate with the forced air, shorting out digital circuits --weird failures, often intermittent, resulted.) Silver has also been shown to grow whiskers under at least some conditions. I think of all the metals NASA tested, only lead and high lead-containing alloys avoided whisker growth.

Google "tin whisker" if you haven't already been through the issues, there are some good sites with useful info out there.

Reply to
Kevin G. Rhoads

Yeah, and watch the new Airbuses fall out of the sky when the Pb free solders start growing whiskers.

Al

Reply to
Al

and bismuth?