how many ways to cut a material?

I'm thinking that there are three possible ways to cut any material...

  1. oxidize it along the cut line. For example, burning through with an oxy- acetylene torch. This is often called "burning" in the metal trades.

  1. tear it apart with a force that exceeds the tensile strength. I don't know the proper term for this process.

  2. push through it with a force that exceeds the compressive strength. I also don't know the proper term for this process.

Am I correct?

what tools do what? For example, what exactly does a scissors do? Is that different than what a knife does?

Reply to
Alan Horowitz

No oxidation in inert envirinments with ortch or laser

many materials can be melted or vaporized without oxidation

Reply to
Sam Wormley

  1. Water jet cutting.
  2. Sandblasting.
  3. E-beam cutting.
  4. EDM.

  1. Chemical milling.

I'm sure I could think of others, if I bothered to spend another 30 seconds thinking about it.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Also melt it and pour the results into little molds.

Bob Kolker

Reply to
Robert J. Kolker

-- Laser, plasma, etc cut. Using heat sums it up.

-- Not practical. Little comtrol over where it'd break unless part had a reduced section.

-- That's shearing as with a die and press. High velocity water is used to cuts some materials.

-- Shear, the same basic action for both.

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

A lot of other methods have already been suggested. Another one that comes to mind: ultrasonic cutting.

Reply to
bob

Failure Modes: Gross yielding Buckling Creep Brittle fracture Fatigue, low cycle Fatigue, high cycle Contact fatigue Fretting Corrosion Stress-corrosion cracking Galvanic corrosion Hydrogen embrittlement Wear Thermal fatigue Corrosion fatigue

Reply to
Tom Walz

Shearing Bearing Compression Adiabatic Shear Melting Over-aging Thermal shock

Reply to
Mark Folsom

Those are all failure modes, not manufacturing processes.

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

material...

Die stamping

Dropping a building

Injection molding

Jack hammer

Brinnelling to improve surface condition (but not for cutting in two) Sandblasting as a machining process

*Some* of them are used in manufacturing. Some of the others are used by artists to provide interesting surfaces.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

-- Of course they are, no duh. But failure modes aren't manufacturing processes.

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson