Need hopper bin and screw feed -- what's available?

I'm building a prototype machine that requires a small hopper and a screw feed system for feeding a granular material similar to sawdust at a constant rate. What I'd like to find is some sort of reasonably priced machine that has a system like this which I can scavenge and adapt to my prototype. Does anyone know of such a machine? Maybe something like an automatic animal feeder?

If the hopper could hold 1 to 5 pounds, that would be about right. A screw diameter of 0.5 to 1 inch would be about right. I'd like it to be driven by a little electric motor.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Try "Volumetric Feeder" in Google.

Reply to
Terry Harper

Thanks, that provided lots of relevant hits.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Check google for volumetric feeder. Unfortunately they can be quite expensive for a relatively simple machine. They come in all sizes and variations some with unique features to handle sticky materials. If you find a cheap small unit - I'm also interested. I'll try to dig up some links for you this weekend.

Gregg

Reply to
Gregg

If it saves me a few days of my time, expensive might be okay. I only need one. If the prototype is successful, the whole machine will be re-engineered competently.

The search term "screw conveyer" is also useful. These are devices, often with a flexible screw and surrounding tube, used to transfer flowable powders. An interesting effect is that the screw (often a spring made from metal wire or ribbon) is self-centering within the hose. Instead of a rigid screw at the bottom of a hopper, the flexible screw conveyor is almost like a vacuum hose that can be inserted into an arbitrary container.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Try this link

They make screw conveyers - you may also want to try ebay!! I'll look for my notes on feeders this weekend.

Good luck Gregg

Reply to
Gregg