Shot in the dark -- grainless, matte-finish glass?

Hey,

I've mentioned in other threads here I'm developing an adapter that mounts 35mm lenses on DV cameras, to get the manual focus and DOF of a 35mm lens. Here's the link to a tutorial describing an older prototype, for any interested.

On the offhand chance that some of you in your expertise could school me on creating a focal plain free of visible grain, I'm posting this to seek your advice.

The project originally started with a piece of thin plastic hand ground with very fine sandpaper, then moved to glass ground with 5 micron aluminum oxide.

Now, I've been playing with sandwiching as thin a layer as is possible with the tools at my disposal ("the kitchen") of microcrystalline wax between two layers of glass -- the grain looks pretty fine but the image doesn't yet resolve as well as with the AO ground glass.

I've searched high and low for "fogged" glass or plastic, coated or fumed that catches an image without dispersing too much light, and without showing its grain on tape -- all with no more luck than the above two techniques. I've been to Canal Plastics here in NYC and looked over their samples, I've tried acid-etching, I've even tried the sprayable glass frost.

Any advice? Thanks!

- jim

jlafferty

Fuming HF. Very dangerous. Ask your local glass replacer.

J.J.

Reply to
jacques jedwab

Thanks for that. I've looked over some of the HF precautions on the web, and you put it right if not mildly -- crazy stuff!

- jim

jlafferty

jlafferty wrote: ....

possible

You are on the right track, but apparently 5 microns is too coarse for your purposes. You probably need scattering at about the wavelength of the light to be scattered. I'd try grinding with 1/2 micron grit.

Dave

Reply to
dmartin

Where can one find grit so small?