Electromagnetic Motor

I was searching for new motor technology on youtube a while back and came across this video:

If you watch closely, you will notice that the speed increases when the electromagnets are further away from the center of the hub. Also, at the end of the video, it looks to me like the belt driving the tire is impregnated with many small round things. Could these possibly be magnets?

Can anyone tell my why the force gets stronger the further out the electromagnets get? Let me know what you think!

Reply to
SillyCatDad

Here's a speculative - even fanciful response - off the top. To provide a variable speed control, a multi phase drive to the stators' coils provides a torque, which with increasing frequency, spins the wheel faster. But a constant torque at increasing speed takes increasing power. So at max drive power, the current into the coils should drop as the frequency increases. At some point, a low current high frequency drive gets increasing losses (I speculate) so pulling the stators to decrease the iron cross section in the circuit (possibly) keeps losses down....

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott