Gold Chromate Coloring

I have a bolt and a nut. Both are material steel with a cadmium plating. They both have a gold chromate finish. The bolt is a gray color and the nut is a bronze color. What is added to the gold chromate finish to give it the bronze color?

Reply to
Self Balancing

Is the bolt also dry film lubed? Fairly common.

Reply to
bainite

I am not sure if the bolt is dry film lubed. The clear chromate bolt is not corroding, and the gold colored chromate nut is corroding. They are exposed to a severe marine environment, and I thought the gold was supposed to be a better finish than the clear. Strange.

Reply to
Self Balancing

Reply to
bainite