10-32 Roll Form Tapping RPM

I've got a customer using standard HSS roll form tap tools from MSC Direct, etc.

He tells me he wants to run my machine at 3600 RPM. My gut (and some charts) tell me 600 RPM is more appropriate.

He is using coolant, the tap hole is through 1/16" to 1/8" "sheet metal" parts and it's a manual process with ample down time between parts to cool the tap tooling off.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Trust your gut. Failing that, have attorney write up a liablity release. And a guarantee that he will fix the damage.

.

He tells me he wants to run my machine at 3600 RPM. My gut (and some charts) tell me 600 RPM is more appropriate.

He is using coolant, the tap hole is through 1/16" to 1/8" "sheet metal" parts and it's a manual process with ample down time between parts to cool the tap tooling off.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep. But I always ask when someone disagrees with me to the point of possibly walking away from a sale.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

The customer is always right. Unless he's doing unsafe things with your tools.

.

Yep. But I always ask when someone disagrees with me to the point of possibly walking away from a sale.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I just happen to have some 10/32 roll form taps I use for molds. I put a drop of Tap Magic on them, and set my mini drill press at its slowest pulley speed. It works great with my tapping head at slow speed. I have never used my tapping head for steel. Usually when I have to tap steel its something I can't fit on the table of the drill press. LOL. Also, my tapping head is not rated for higher speeds either. I would have to go look for the manual, but I think its rated for less than 1000 rpm.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Unsafe to me = something that requires me to fix their emergency situation, possibly as part of a warranty coverage because they simply can't see the situation from my perspective.

However, someone else posted something that got me thinking about the maximum rated RPM from the tapping head manufacturer. If I can get some hard numbers from them, that's enough to change the tide of the conversation I bet.

Thanks to you and ALL for the comments and thoughts.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I think that was me, but I do not see my post here on TeraNews. I would like to know how it shakes out though. As arrogant as I can be I am not so arrogant as to say something is impossible. I've been wrong to many times... If there is somebody tapping at insane sounding speeds I'ld sure love to see it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Also, a reversible tapping head is not the only way to machine tap. They could have heard of somebody using a single point or multi point thread mill with flood coolant at high RPMs, or maybe you can spin a floating tap holder on a reversible machine (with serious braking capability) faster. I suspect that I could do multiple passes with a single thread (multi point) thread mill at very high RPMs (over 10,000) in a machinable aluminum. I don't think it would be faster than just tapping with my tapping head at 600 RPM though. Besides the tapping head with tap will make a better thread (atleast on my machines) than machining an interpolated helix.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Good point. These guys are kind of high end in that respect so it's possible they have machining on the brain and have applied it to simple tapping.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill