4 cylinder 28VDC Military Generator set question

Just what can I do with it. Its the typical military stand engine, made by Teledyne or continental, but it has a lousy 28VDC generator on it. Its fairly large approx 30 inches wide n 24 inches high and about

3 feet long. It runs like a champ...........but 28 VDC is not gonna do me much good. It was obtained for free............so I sure was not gonna turn it down........

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

Reply to
~Roy~

Now you know why it was free! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Roy

Could you get an inverter that converts 24 volts to 220/110 VAC for houshold use as a "back up" generator?

For the past few years, I've spent some alot of time repairing high current 28 VDC generators for aircraft ground power units. If it is big enough to seat their needs, maybe you could give it to someone at the local airport, or even sell it if there is enough need there.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

Use it to charge 24V batteries to feed a UPS inverter circuit? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

What is the RPM on that genset?

Ignoramus29808

Find someone with a 24V nominal golf cart, and give it to them. Instant Hybrid Car. Or a field charger. Starting boost for industrial engines in graders and Cat D-9's. Or as an emergency source for someone living off-grid, and everything's on a 24V solar cell and battery system.

If there is a way to reset the voltage regulator for 13.8V DC, now you have a car battery charger or booster start unit. Perfect the next time you get in the car to go to work, turn the key, and get rurrr-rurrr-clickclickclick.... as it turns over once and quits.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You can make a voltage divider (Google), to drop the uneeded voltage. If you use a 50 ohm potentiometer and some resistors in parallel, you should be able to vary from 0 to 28 volts.

Use a voltmeter to measure the output voltage. You would want to use no more than 13.5 VDC to charge or run a 12VDC battery or system.

:/

Reply to
Halcitron

Build an experimental aircraft. Lot's of them being built and powered with those engines. OR find a large 24 volt motor and build a hybrid auto.

Reply to
Steve W.

If that 4 cylinder engine is air colled and looks a lot like an aircraft engine then it is worth something as parts. Many of those engines had a special crank case but aircraft rated parts. Homebuilt arcraft can use the case, after modifications and regular aircraft can use the other parts if they have model numbers that indicate "aircraft worthy".

Check aircraft engine rebuilders.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

10,000 WATTS PEAK/7200 WATTS RATED BELT-DRIVEN GENERATOR HEAD

Build your own belt driven brushless generator

3600 RPM Uses a 20 HP gas or diesel engine for maximum performance Comes with two 20 amp 120 volt receptacles and one 30 amp 120/240 volt twistlock receptacle Circuit breaker protected 92 lb. shipping weight Keyway: 1/4''; Shaft: 1'' diameter x 2-1/4'' long; Belt driven

ITEM 45416-1VGA $299.99

-- W§ mostly in m.s -

Winston Smith

Get a big-assed UPS and use it as an inverter - get the equivalent to a Honda E series inverter genset.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

That would have to be a UPS that uses 28V batteries, quite unusual. Most big UPSes have many batteries connected in series, resulting in relatively high DC voltage.

Ignoramus22998

It still sounds like a airplane engine driven generator. Many of them had a special crank case but aircraft rated other parts. If so, you could sell the aircraft parts and buy a generater.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

These gensets sell for not too much money on ebay. I doubt that he'd be able to make a lot of $$ on it to afford something decent. I do like the suggestion of adding either a belt driven, or direct/flexible coupled head. That's the sanest use of this equipment, in my humble opinion. My own generator experience is limited to restoration of an onan diesel genset, and reselling a few generator parts.

Ignoramus906

Gonna scrap the generator and all its associated equipment, and utilize the engine for a bandsaw wood mill........

Solves that problem........

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

Reply to
~Roy~

try selling the genend and its electronics...

Ignoramus906

Many UPS systems run on 24 volts, and 28 volts is the charging voltage for a 24 volt system, give or take.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Roy, I think what you have is a Continental engine... a variant of an air cooled aircraft engine and a 28VDC generator, probably for use in starting aircraft.

If you are interested in a donation to a school, I can give you a tax write-off....

Reply to
Gene Kearns