Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Absurd in England
There are two stories worth commenting on. First was the ongoing saga of the guy that had built his house behind the straw bales has now appealed the order to tear down his home. in there. Next a guy...
10
10

9 volt transistor battery uses?
What's a way to use up old 9 volt transistor batteries? I've got a couple dozen that still have some charge. I figure with a couple battery clips, I could put two in series. Dump the charge into 12...
15
15

Shredding
http://www.ssiworld.com/watch/the_monster.htm
13
13

OT: Torn $100 bill
I have a $100 bill that is about two-thirds there and missing a third. There is all this glib advice about "take it to any bank", but both banks I do business with (including the USA's biggest, the...
34
34

Thread Milling
I finally got the Solidcam .gpp post working correctly for my old Hurco KMB1. The helical milling seems to work pretty well, so I thinking of trying some thread milling. It appears dedicated thread...
10
10

Gun Art
I'm not going to take sides in the gun debate, but I know great art when I see it: not for dial-up. 101 pictures of extraordinary firearms all on one page. The site may be blocked for some of you with...
7
7

Best way to pull wire
I am trying to figure out the best way and best direction to pull 3 # 3 wires and a # 6 wire from a run from my house to a 100 amp sub panel in a detached garage. It will be 2 inch PVC conduit. The...
21
21

Update on conduit install in sub panel
I started to drill a hole with my 2 1/2 inch hole saw last night into the top plate. I realized it is probably a double 2x4 top plate. Can I just take a saws all and after drilling a hole completely...
3
3

Wet ink on $100 bills
A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills in a greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the front face of a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed...
18
18

Rockwell 20" Drill Press bearing replacement
Iggy's thread about his new drill press reminded me that I need help in removing the step pulley on the drill press in order to replace the two bearings that it rides on. It's fairly quiet when the...
5
5

Another OT barbecue question
Sometimes, my barbecue flames will come on at low, even if I turn the pointer to high. If I shut the valves and close the tank, and then open up the tank, and open the valves and light, it will come...
14
14

Hard Turning with no Feed Marks
To All: I missed this when it first came out, but here is a way to hard-turn bearing & seal OD's and the like. Here are some excerpts from an article in MMSonline (short video at site)....
8
8

OT gas barbecue grill problem/question
anybody have experience with this? i have a ducane grill, maybe 5 or so years old. the flame, when it's on HIGH is lower than it would be (if it were functioning properly) if it was on LOW. i think...
9
9

More on Bullet casting/heat treating
It may be of interest to some of you. "Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone. I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout" Unknown Usnet Poster Heh, heh,...
15
15

Jaguar supercomputer
"Jaguar supercomputer races past Roadrunner in Top500" [ The Cray XT5 supercomputer known as "Jaguar" has finally clawed its way to the title of fastest computer in the world. Sitting back at No. 2 on...
13
13