Subject Author Posted Replies

oh turds! compressor motor starting cap's 'blown out' but it's a "non-standard"
my ancient 4hp sears craftsman air compressor needs a starting capacitor, I've determined (through a process of elimination). I still have the original owners manual, and the capacitor is "part of the...
14
14

Squaring a chiock
Years ago when I worked in a shipyard we use to make chocks to align machinery. One surface was milled flat and te other surface was mill so that thick chock could be installed to align the machine....
1
1

Paint Strpper for aluminum?
Have a car rear window louver with baked on enamel. Started to sandblast, but I'll die of old age before it's finished. Lots of area. What's a good stripper for this(and I don't mean Sheila), that...
9
9

Alan Greenspan: Increase taxes
U.S. federal budget deficit is so large that the nation must consider tax increases, including a value-added tax, former Federal Reserve Board Chairman Alan Greenspan said Friday. Former Fed Chairman...
5
5

Coating for bare steel wire?
Hi all, I want to build up a magnetic core using a few hundred feet of 0.023" diameter ER70-S6 MIG filler wire. To limit eddy current, I need to make the wire non-conductive to low voltage (ca. 5.0V...
39
39

Math question
How do I figure the area of a pool from the perimeter? It is a kidney shaped (exaggerated) pool. Steve
67
67

OT (Guns)
The Instigator

Illinois State cops have no crime to occupy them?
We were just east of St. Louis today on I-70 with a 27' travel trailer in tow. I was following a semi doing about 60 mph, and as he slowed down, so did I. Limit for trucks and trailers is 55 mph in...
49
49

Metalworking: Shaking my head in disbelief!
Meeting with some of my engineers today left me astonished. If left to their own devices, they will turn everything into the Space Shuttle. Actually, I think I have some of those tendencies under...
36
36

Insulation: blown or fiberglass for metal garage
Which one is better for a 900 square foot garage?
7
7

1100 Pounds Capacity
Wadda ya think? lbs each or total for all 4? I need to move something that weighs right at 4000 lbs. I can lift it with my ten ton mini ram, but I need to move it out of the way, do some work, and...
30
30

>>> HYUNDAI ELANTRA <<<
There was a whole bunch of irrelevant information here that might or might not have anything to do with Hyundai Elantra cars which we had to delete and leave this note as a placeholder for database...

Dial Calipers
Recently I bought a dial caliper at the flea market. It's a Mitutoyo, and the dial is graduated in .001" increments, but it will make a complete revolution once every 0.2", instead of the usual 0.1"....
10
10

Saw Horses used for assembly stands
Some years ago I needed a good way to support steel bars that were to be welded, collared, etc.. to make gates and railings. Things needed to be really flat for several reasons, which, I'm sure are...
10
10

air operated chuck - what's the advantage?
Hi, there's this Bridgeport mill offered on eBay (auction 180414939748). It boasts an "air operated chuck". What is that and how is it an advantage? I'm new to milling and found this auction that...
1
1