Subject Author Posted Replies

RCM: Yet another mill light
Found this LED 'headlight' at the flea market for $3. Took the elastic straps off, drilled a couple of holes and voila! I'll be the first to admit that the Power Rangers styling is silly, but it does...

Your top five albums
Dave Brubeck Take Five Beatles Sgt. Pepper (Tied with the White untitled album) Will the Circle be Unbroken Chicago Transit Authority (1st album) Santana Abraxas fifty alternates that would be...
7
7

Electric Motor wiring?
I just acquired an old 1 1/2 hp single phase motor. It is set at 220VAC and I need to run it at 110. The plate with the wiring instructions is unreadable. The wires are marked "451 through 458". The...
8
8

What Size Phase Converter do I need?
Hey guys, I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run it? Thanks! James (seattle)
28
28

Decent cut-off tool
I've been looking at the Aloris AXA-77 to get away from hacksawing. Comments? I've used insert cutoff tools before, and the insert does get "cocked". but that was in a square shank toolholder, not a...
9
9

fixing a pinion gear temporarily on a shaft to cross-drill for a pin?
I have this old machine I'm working on in my spare time. When I say old, it's really old, probably pre-1920. It has two shafts which had gears fixed to them by pinning. The shafts were drilled and the...
13
13

OT: in-line skate brake
This is preliminary, but wondering why I haven't already tried implementing this braking method. The brake is like a Razor scooter brake, except the braking force naturally won't come from the...
6
6

Alva F Allen BT2 2 Ton Punch Press
Hoping for a long shot here. I am rebuilding a little Allen BT2 punch press and found that one of the bearing caps is broken. Split right through the mounting and grease zert holes. Will I need to...
1
1

Best stencil material
The roadside signs announcing my business need replacing... With a huge laborious effort, I now have the sign as an AutoCAD file. My next step is to have the lines burned/cut into a material so I can...
7
7

Yes another sharpening ends of end mill question
I bought one of those enco fixtures, I gave it a try using a surface grinder and a normal wheel. The end mill was a 1/2" HSS 4 flute that I'd done something stupid with and broke about 0.100" of the...
3
3

any heat-treatable thin steel plate/strip recommendations?
Hello all, Could someone recommend a steel that is: 1) available in thin but large sizes, i.e., 24 in x 24 in x .020 thick 2) heat treatable to a high degree (Rc 40+) 3) relatively cheap I was...
6
6

round vs square tubing
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using square and round tubing? Which one has more strength and rigidity? Which one would you use for a tubular chassis?
10
10

Hand soap--roll yer own
Quite by accident I discovered a really good cleaner for greasy hands--- one squirt Lava (w/pumice) plus one squirt Cheap glycerine soap (general purpose soap found in Dollar stores & the like) Works...
13
13

Help with poem
Something today triggered a line from a poem read as a kid MANY years ago. " The puffin had a muffin, the Owl a little fowl, and Griffin for his tiffen ate the Puffin and the Owl" OK ! What is the...
10
10

welding
I am restoring a toyota land cruiser , and I have to weld some bodi panel patches. I have a small bench wire feed and am not informed on welding light metal .any sugestions would be a big help...
8
8