Subject Author Posted Replies

New/old steel body panels
An article in the Nov. 25th recent issue of the NYT, "Rust-Free Reality: Creating an All-New Classic," talks about the growing business of supplying low-volume steel body panels to the restoration...
30
30

Using my lathe today
Not exactly for metal. Christmas is coming along and its time to grind pounds and pounds of poppy seeds. (Iggy probably knows what this is about). Use to take about 3 hours by hand and using the lathe...
40
40

My review of Harbor Freight's 93977 Ratcheting Crimper
I normally use my Craftsman combined plier/cutter/stripper/bolt-cutter/ crimper to crimp the yellow lugs from the home centers for 10-12 gauge wire. Although a trusty tool, it doesn't crimp very well....
30
30

new steel mill
Our company just completed installing a huge allotment of equipment at the first greenfield mill start up built in along time there is a video of it at we build the ducting that removes the fumes from...
13
13

RCM Challenge
I figure there is enough expertise in this group to successfully tackle this challenge... Now all it takes is money! The latest version of the X Prize is backed by Google: $20 million to the first...
20
20

Why square head set screws?
I can see that square heads could be torqued tighter than socket/allen heads, but why not just use a hex head? The question is prompted by my having to remove a square head screw from the hub of a...

Haas HL-1
I was wandering around the shops this afternoon. We have an early 90's Haas VL-1 with very low hours, original controls, very little tooling, no bar feeder. We rarely use it but it takes up a lot of...
7
7

Ping Ned Simmons
Paid in full with some interest, via Paypal. Check your email for confirmation. Gunner
1
1

Crafstman Oxy/Acet welding tip
I have a Craftsman torch that's about 12 years old and need a few new welding tips. Sears doesn't carry them and can't find anything online. Does anyone know who made these and if something from...
8
8

Using newspapers to heat the shop
According to a GOOGLE search the BTU value of one pound of newsprint paper is around 8,000 BTU's compared to 20,000 BTU's for one pound of gasoline. I subscribe to three papers and at the end of a...
11
11

OT: Green Washing
Awl- Apropos of the tumblers/washers threads, and previous posts on the win-win-win-win scenario with frontloader washers, I saw a fairly stunning Bosch ad for their front loaders: They have calc'd,...
45
45

A tiny swivel lamp
Warning: metal content. This is about a dirt-simple cheap way to make a ball swivel for a little single-LED aimable task light. About a 1.5 meg download with photos.
5
5

Seeking Decent Precision Screwdriver Set
I have a POS set something like this: but would prefer something which won't keep falling apart. Who makes a GOOD small phillips and flat set for not too much money? TIA
40
40

Help cutting aluminum panel
Metalworking newbie here, but accomplished Electrical Engineer.... What would I need if I wanted to punch holes (some small diameter round, and a square hole) with reasonably sharp, or tight radius...
22
22

Looking for Source for small thrust bearings
skf? fag? Grainger? NNT? What's the application? When I'm trying to design something that the parts for aren't available, I almost always find that someone has a smarter way to do what I'm trying to...
10
10