Subject Author Posted Replies

Good book on paint selection?
Does anyone know of a good book on paint selection aimed at the end user? I am talking about a book which tells you what primer to use for every metal under the sun, and gives you generic names for...
8
8

Update 2 on Quincy compressor and VFD
I have found approximately 170 microfarads of extra capacitance, in bits and pieces. Wired them in. Set the V/f curve to linear (setting 0). I set the max frequency to 20 Hz. With that, the compressor...
6
6

HF truck crane
Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences? Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to...
32
32

Pulley for treadmill motor question
I already googled and came up empty. I have a 2.5HP DC motor and controller that I want to put on my drill press but I can't find a pulley to fit it. The shaft is 17MM (0.669") by 1" length with an...
10
10

OT Metal replacement roofing?
Doing a metal roof is a 90-10 project. The 90% of the area covered by big flat sheets is 10% of the work. Measure carefully, order them cut to length, screw them down. Only a couple of rules - align...
27
27

A locksmthing question
Hello all, I was opening my trunk today at work, and my key snapped off on me in the lock. Since the spare was a half-hour away, and my wife's car is out of commission right now, I had to figure out a...
28
28

let's talk about flat (not leather) drive belts
there is plenty of info and discussion of flat leather drive belts for older machinery - but very little on the care/feeding of the synthetic flat drive belts used on newer machines. I've been trying...
10
10

Holding jigs for 19" front panels
I've been making a few front panels for equipment lately and I see more on the horizon. Has anyone made jigs for securing these in milling machines and how did you do it? Could these be available on...
9
9

Followup on how to roof a shed
The shed roof that looks like a steel gate is done.
7
7

OT: Comparison of Unix systems and window managers
Hi folks, Sorry for the OT post, but I think people here might be able to offer me some worthwhile advice. I currently run Solaris 9 on a Sun Ultra 2 as my main workstation. I like Unix and need it...
80
80

Diecast 250 GTO Engine 1:6 Scale Model sweepstakes
http://www.vintagemotorsport.com/contest_gmp250.asp

Siemens SED2 VFD / Quincy 10 HP compressor troubles
According to Ignoramus32225 : What is it when *not* starting the 10 HP motor? That sounds rather low -- I would expect the no-load voltage to be closer to about 310 VDC from a 220 VAC input. Can you...
17
17

Sign of damage seen in space station solar panel gear (Metal content)
They have vacuum-rated silicone greases and synthetic lubes, but don't ask me for specifics. The thing that gets me is they're freaking out about "how could it get contaminated..." Who cares? It is,...
7
7

Mixing soluble oils? Misting oils as flood coolant?
In article , "Proctologically Violated©®" wrote: Probably. The chemistries are different, but if it works it works. By the way, KoolMist is not a soluable oil. You can use WS5050 in 20: dilution....
4
4

Wiring a single filament bulb to flash?
Motorcycle with twin filament bulb for turns/running light. I'm fitting mirrors w/integral turns, i.e. single filament bulb. The m/c turn signal switch turns the running lights off, when the signal is...
5
5