Subject Author Posted Replies

Ping Iggy VFD News
Hi Iggy Far enough along with the lathe VFD project to get the drive and motor wired up (waiting on steel for motor mount). VFD/programmer works fine, that motor you provided is going to work quite...
4
4

Dremel tools
Anyone have any recommendations for a dremel tool or a non-Dremel brand dremel like tool? I have had really bad luck with dremel tools as the variable speed control always dies within a few weeks of...
16
16

Myford ML7 and ML10 oilers
Crossposted to ukrme in case anyone on our side knows the answer Mark Rand RTFM
3
3

shear and moment diagrams
I'm working my way through the eighth edition of "Simplified Design of Steel Structures" by Ambrose and Tripeny (Parker having died at some point), and I'm finding it to be an odd mix of very basic...
7
7

South Bend 9 apron
I want to give the apron a good clean. The worm needs to be removed to get to some crud that's visible behind it. Anyone know how to remove the worm? It seems to have a pressed on collar that holds it...
1
1

OT: ultra durable utility knife blades
I use snap-off utility knife blades a lot. My current set of blades is amazing (otherwise I wouldn't be writing about it). One use is for cutting a group of paper towels into quarter sections. With my...
4
4

Material Thickness for Pickup Bed Toolbox
Jim, what you describe in your first paragraph reminds me of my 40+ years of land surveying. Ivan Vegvary
4
4

Fixture / jig clamp for 20mm round stock in lathe
I'm looking for some ideas on how to repeatedly and hold some 20mm OD PVC round bar in a lathe chuck. I'm turning batches of 20 pieces - they start as a 25mm length of 20mm OD PVC rod and end up with:...
1
1

Air hammer chisel guidance
O.K. My turn to ask a question instead of answering them. I just picked up an air hammer with a set of five chisels. Looking at them, I see things which don't look right to me, but since I've never...
54
54

Teflon/Delrin Bibb washers?
Hi all, I'm tired of replacing the crappy rubber tap washers ( Bibb - on compression style taps) around the house. Yes, I know the seat has to be clean or reseated for long term leak prevention. I was...
4
4

gettting started on the cheap
I've wanted to 'get into' metal working for quite a while but just haven't found the time. My current experience is limited to a being a former farm boy who can use a cutting torch and welder well...
17
17

Drillin holes Intos Hard Metal
You didn't learn this from me... Drill one hole in the bottom - they are sometimes not hardened because *WHO* would ever think of turning a vault or large safe upside down! Drop in one good sized...
5
5

Moving machines
Hello all, Is is just me, or does the metalworking industry seem deaf to hobbyists and other home-shop customers? Put another way, what is the correct approach to getting a machine off a truck in one...
76
76

Online Machining Intro
This site has some basic introduction to machine tool operation and shop practice accompanied by rather decent photographic illustrations. Included are suggestions for initial tool purchases and...
9
9

Taps in green coating
If I see a tap in green coating, would it be correct to assume that it is a resharp? i
5
5