A plumbing fitting question

What is the difference betwen a "street' and an "Ftg" fitting. For example in copper sweat fittings I find "street ells" and "Ftg" reducers And what does the FTG stand for besides "fitting"?

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

I don't know about ftg-s but a "street" elbow is one that is male/female rather than regular ones that are female/female.

So an NPT street el has OD threads on one side, and ID threads on the

90 degree branch. For copper sweat fittings, one is large so it will accept the pipe, the other branch has the same OD as the pipe, so it will go into another fitting.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I'm pretty sure ftg doesn't mean anything else but "fitting"--although I'm just a weekend plumber, not a pro. But this particular plumbing supply company uses it for everything:

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken Grunke

While we're on the subject, why is it called a street el? Does it have something to do with meter hookup, or getting the pipe out of the house into the ground, or maybe an inventor named "Street?"

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I have often pondered that same question. A Google search comes up empty. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

I found this at Ask Jeeves...

I was told this many years ago when I asked the same question.

Back in the good old days before tapping saddles and corporations were used to connect water lines from the mains to the water meter, direct connections were made. A hole was drilled in an unpressurized water main, then tapped, and finished with an elbow threaded in the water main. These elbows had a short nipple then elbow pointing to the future meter location. The hole usually was tapped right on the top of the water main so a short nipple to elbow was used for start of the future service line. Street El's were developed to have 1 less threaded joint exposed to dirt for corrosion. It also had a lower profile from snagging when the water main was dug up for repair or more service line additions.

This was the general idea I was given many years ago.

Reply to
Rick

Forgot to paste this...

The thing left out of the explanation was that the water and gas mains were usually located in the street, so that is the reason they were called "street" ells.

Reply to
Rick

Makes sense Rick. Thanks.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Because calling it a boulevard ell is, well, silly. And besides a lot of plumbers would have trouble spelling it.

Reply to
Jim Levie