? about ball bearing size increments

I'm looking to put together a set of ball bearings between about 4/16 and 1", in as small increments as possible for removing dents from brass instrument tubing from the inside. What size increments do readily available - i.e. "off the shelf" ball bearings normally come in?

One supplier has said in that size range they have 16 bearings - 1/4,

9/32, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 15/32, 1/2, 9/16, 19/32, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16, and 1 inch. I see there are several gaps where the size jumps by more than a 1/32. I was hoping to find a set that more evenly covers the sizes. Is this a realistic goal? I'd like to find them all at once instead of piecemeal it together so it would be worth the time/bother for whoever sends them to me.

Would I be more likely to find a greater number of increments in metric or inch sizes? In fact, if I included both metric and inch sizes, would that be likely to fill in "gaps" in sizes?

Thanks for all input.

Reply to
brassplyer

David Billington

Give these guys a try, they claim to have 40,000 sizes for same day shipment.

Garlicdude

May I suggest an alternative? It is very likely that you will never need all the sizes you are attempting to buy. I would buy a small lathe and make what you need , when you need it. This would also give you the opportunity to bore a hole in the center to attach a rod which will allow you play the dent slowly and more carefully. In truth you may need a series of sizes for one dent. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Look up Swedging tool. It is used by plumbers, musicians and anyone dealing with tubing to straighten tubing or remove dents. (I used a plumbers swedge on copper pipe with success.) Musicians with brass horns use them. Swedges must be available in many sizes for these two groups. Even if they are not available in the size(s) you require, a lathe could turn them out in every increment that you do need. Make your own for a lot less than precision bearing balls.

Although I am not aware of the tube that you want to repair, I do not think using balls is practical. Too much of a chance of jamming one in place then ruining the tubing in an attempt to remove the ball.

Jim Y

Reply to
Jim Y