aero engine question

I know I could go to rec. aircraft something and ask, but with all the expertise in this crowd I hope to get a quick answer. What aircraft were powered by the OX5 engine. I think it was a Wright powerplant but that's all I know. My uncle (now deceased, in bed, not in the pilot's seat.) was a member of the OX5 club, and we now have his lapel pin. He was old enough to have learned in a Jenny, but I think they had Liberty engines.

John

Reply to
John Hall

IIRC it was the Curtis Jenny. I have a neat drawing of one of these engines I did when I was a kid.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Curtiss OX5 of 90hp - vast numbers made from 1910 to around 1917. Many wartime ones were made by contractors and had a foul reputation for build quality and unreliability. They turned up in lots of aircraft, but the famous ones were the Curtiss JN-4 and the DH6

Reply to
Andy Dingley

thanks.

John

Reply to
John Hall

You're reaching *WAY* back there for OX-5 engines but you are talking Jennies (JN-4). The OX-5 was a Curtiss V8 of about

503 cu in displacement and 90-98 HP.
Reply to
John Keeney

And the Standard SJ-1.

Reply to
John Keeney

Yeah, and right when you thought the V8 came along in the "deuce" Ford Roadster!

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

in conneaut, pa, there is a museum for a boat built around this engine.

had the boat not sunk on it's return trip, it would have set a speed record which would have remained unbroken for more than 15 years

the boat what brought up from the depths after a 40+ year sleep, and restored

it was cruised across the same lake at 1/2 throttle, around 55mph, IIRC

Reply to
Jon Grimm

Just goes to show, with enough power-to-weight just about any speed is possible. I once had a large V8 mounted on a roller skate. The exhaust alone, at idle, would push it along at about 5 mph.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:40:35 GMT, "John Hall" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

How right you are. It's scary. Anyone who complains about this group being OT too much has only to ask about just about anything. You don't get "preciousness" in response here, or silly questions. You get answers, or at least many considered responses. Very rarely fails.

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

For those who may not know, You had to own, maintain or have flown in an OX5 powered plane before 1940 to join the club. I think they now accept "historian" members.

Here is a good photo.

Alexander Eaglerock biplane.

Beech Travel Air

Buhl CW-3

Curtis Robin

Curtis Triad A-1
Fowler Gage
Hartzell FC-1
JN-1 Standard http://216.125.204.247/Education/biplane.htm JN4-D
Laird Swallow
Lincoln Page LP-3
shown with

225 Lycoming

Thomas-Morse S-4B

Waco 10 (also 9, I believe)

Welch OW-1
Here is more info on the line of Curtis "O" engines.

Andy Asberry

Some of the JN-4s used the hispano suiza engine:

That plane flies regularly. It looks a lot nicer in the photo than it does on the ground. The first time I saw it, I thought, 'boy that's a shame. I wonder if they're ever going to get it in flying shape ever again?'

It seemed like it was held together with duct tape, safety wire, and hose clamps.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen