air compressor dog house

This 7.5 Hp Quincy air compressor followed me home from the auction:

Trouble is, I already got two pounds of sh*t in a one pound box when it comes to shop space.

Anybody ever put the air compressor in a dog house outside? Remember I live on the tundra (MN). Otherwise, I got to sell it. I paid all of $300, so I should come out OK

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Karl, mine is outside of my shop, for noise reduction issues. It's not loud (in fact, it's a VERY quiet compressor), but it's 'noise' I don't want to hear.

Some minor warmth in winter is probably a good idea... maybe just a light bulb, burning bright.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You can sell it for about $800-1100.

If you run it in very cold weather, make sure to use appropriate oil.

You also need to deal with condensate freezing.

Ignoramus31869

I have one that lives out back under the deck. The only problem is condensation dripping from the underside during a spring thaw.

Does the dog mind?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Mine's not exactly in a dog house , but it is outside , more or less . I't under the 12x20 carport -half is closed in for my shop space - and is sheltered from direct weather . I usually turn it off unless I need air in winter , when it gets real cold it sometimes doesn't want to spin up . FWIW it's a speedaire 60 gallon vertical tank and motor with a 2 cylinder IR single stage pump .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

No, but I've heard about it. Isolate and insulate it, and pipe shop air into it as well as out of it. (Don't let it drink hot/cold moist air from outside the shop, IOW) This will keep it healthy longer.

I've seen guys on the Wreck do this two ways. First guy piped shop air into the intake via pipe, with the air filter in the shop.

The second guy cut slots so it could breathe better and cool the head better, then put a couple of insulated baffles over the slots to muffle the sound from the shop.

I like the latter, myself, since it kept the compressor closer to room temp. The more you pamper machinery, the longer it lasts.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Make sure you use synthetic oil, my Quincys always carboned-up the valves with regular oil. Will it run every day? If not, make all the necessary arrangements for the temp and humidity issues.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Thanks for all the adivce everybody.

I didn't even think of the most important issue. I mentioned my plan to SWMBO and she about sh*t. Might have a compressor for sale.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Can't figure out what the wife's problem is with your plan?

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

So, you really don't NEED the Quincy (be honest)? Sell it for the $800

- 1100 that Iggy estimates that you could get and split the profit with SWMBO. Might help with bending her attitude about tools & auctions.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

It lives in the (unheated, uninsulated) barn here...nothing special done and this one has survived 40+ yr so far...0F routinely, not -40F, though...if it needs to run continuously (this one stays on 24/7 altho cycles rarely) would likely want to add at least a little heat in the most bitter temp periods I'd think.

Reply to
dpb

If it runs continuously, I would think that there should be no need for heating at all, plenty of heating and warming action from the compressor itself.

Ignoramus24348

As it says above it's _powered_ continuously but cycles rarely...

Reply to
dpb

That is, I was describing experience here; agree that if it's a decent sized compressor and is actually cycling pretty frequently and in a small enclosure w/ some weatherproofing it would likely be enough. This is a 5-hp single phase in a 40x70 drafty old frame barn and doesn't run but on demand so it's at essentially outdoor temp all the time. But, it has operated in that environment w/o issue for quite a long time and have no reason to think it won't outlast me...

Reply to
dpb

So the Quincy wouldn't be the only thing in the doghouse, eh?

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

--Re: compressors outside: just remember that altho you might not hear it f rom inside your shop, depending on where you live your neighbors might have to live with the noise. I live in the best of all possible worlds: my neig hbor is hard of hearing! ;-) Still and all I've got the thing (big upright tank: maybe 120 gal or so) in a shed to cut down the noise. Be aware that i f you *super* insulate the thing heat can build up, so provide a means of v entilation. Also, because it's usually so damned hard to get to, plumb a st reet ell into the drain and run a pipe out to the side so it's easier to re ach.

Reply to
SteamboatEd Haas

Everybody, I'm working plan B:

That is - putting two pounds of sh*t in a one pound box.

I'm going to split the pump unit and the air tank. Mount both from the ceiling. There's room over the welder for the air pump unit. Room over the freezer for the air tank.

Right now I'm looking for sky hooks to support a heavy vibrating weight. Should be fun. I'll report back when I have it figured out. At least I solved the cold weather issue.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have a 2 HP Quincy. Really well-made unit, I think mine is from the

1970's or so, was used by the telephone co. I think, tons of wire wrap stripped ends in it when I got it. It is SO MUCH quieter than the hideous oilless compressor I had before, which no dog-house could possibly keep quiet.

I have it in the basement, but I do have a fairly large space available. Not only does it service my shop, it also pumps up all the car tires.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Oh, my! I wonder if this is such a good idea. These compressors do tend to vibrate a bit, you might end up vibrating the entire HOUSE and driving everybody in your NEIGHBORHOOD crazy! The floor above and walls will act as sounding boards.

If you want to do this, I might recommend either mounting it to the foundation wall (better than the ceiling) or making a big "spider" framework that elevates it where you want it but the weight is supported only by the floor (presumably concrete). That would keep the vibration out of the building above.

Maybe what you plan will work, but I know in MY house, it would almost certainly make the whole house hum.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Oh, there's a way. i don't see it yet, but it will come to me.

I suppose I could weld it solid to the big I-beem that supports the whole house :-) Bet that would shake bricks off the chimney.

Reply to
Karl Townsend