Alluminum-copper alloys

Does something like this exist? Interested in something like 80-90% alluminum and rest copper. The idea being to retain low weight associated with alluminum yet make it better in terms of sound qualities.

Again, this is a for a music instrument.

What about machining qualities (strenght/hardness), corrosion resistance etc ?

Reply to
Rashid Karimov

This sounds like 2024 aluminum, this has copper in it. Maybe not

10 percent though.

Jim

jim rozen

Most wrought Aluminum Alloys have Cu in them. That is what allows them to be hardened using a technique called precepitation hardening.

Here are the compositions of some common alloys:

1100 99% Al (min) 0.20% Cu (max) 2024 90.75% Al (min) 4.4% Cu 0.6% Mn 1.5% Mg 6061 95.85% Al (min) 1.0% Mg 0.6% Si 0.3% Cu 0.2% Cr 7075 87.2% Al (min) 5.6% Zn 2.5% Mg 1.6% Cu 0.23% Cr

Nothing I know of has 10% Cu. Hope this helps.

MA

Reply to
Mustafa Al-Shawaf

I used to use an aluminium alloy called 'Duralium' ( or something that sounded similar ) which I think was supposed to be 10 to 15% copper. I was beautiful to machine - like a soft brass. It machined away in little curled chips and it semed very stable, that is, it didn't warp much after machining. I guess they stopped making it once they found out I liked it like everything else.

Dean.

Reply to
Dean

2219 is pretty close

Chemistry Data :

Aluminum Balance Copper 5.8 - 6.8 Iron 0.3 max Magnesium 0.02 max Manganese 0.2 - 0.4 Remainder Each 0.05 max Remainder Total 0.15 max Silicon 0.2 max Titanium 0.02 - 0.1 Vanadium 0.05 - 0.15 Zinc 0.1 max Zirconium 0.1 - 0.25

Principal Design Features AL 2219 is an age-hardenable copper containing alloy of aluminum. It is noted for applications at elevated temperatures.

Applications Commonly used in the manufacture of structural components used in high temperature applications as well as high strength weldments.

Machinability In the annealed condition this alloy is readily machined. It is more difficult to machine in any of the heat treated conditions, which is the condition in which most machining is actually done. Use of oil base lubrication is advised for all machining operations.

Forming The alloy may be readily formed by conventional methods. However there are precautions in regard to hot forming - see "Hot Working".

Welding Welding heat input affects the corrosion resistance of this alloy in an adverse manner. Thus any welding should be followed by a repeat heat treatment to restore corrosion resistance. Resistance welding and inert gas welding may be used with precautions to avoid strain cracking upon cooling. Alloy 2319 is best for a filler rod.

Heat Treatment Solution heat treatment is done at 1000 F followed by a cold water quench (T4 condition).

Forging Hot forging may be done providing the finished product is given the aging heat treatment to restore corrosion resistance.

Hot Working Hot working should be avoided unless it is feasible to give the finished product the aging heat treatment after all hot working is done. Otherwise the corrosion resistance will be adversely affected.

Cold Working Cold working by conventional means is readily accomplished.

Annealing Solution annealing is done at 1000 F for adequate time to allow thorough heating, followed by a cold water quench.

Aging The alloy is aged at 375 F, after first doing the solution anneal at

1000 F and water quench, for varying time. For product forms such as forgings the 375 F aging is for 18 hours and for sheet, or plate (up to 2" thick) it is 375 F for 36 hours followed by air cooling in each instance.

Tempering Not applicable to this alloy.

Hardening This alloy is hardened (strengthened) by an aging heat treatment or by controlled cold working from the solution annealed condition. See "Heat Treatment" and "Aging".

Other Physical Props Electrical conductivity 30% that of copper.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Isn't that alloy called aluminium bronze?

Aren't the sound qualities directly linked to the weight (or density) of the alloy?

Reply to
jerry_tig2003

No that's mainly Cu and 5% to 10% aluminium. A great valve guide material for race engines if a tad hard to machine.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I've worked with the aluminum bronze, and would only use it if I really had to. Mean stuff to machine. Much tougher than aluminum or bronze individually. We used to use a lot of 2011, a free-machining aluminum that cuts beautifully and could produce various fittings quickly and easily. Its chief drawback is the same as all 2000-series aluminums: the copper content gives it a very low corrosion resistance, and it tends to crack easily.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

Are you gonna cast it?? if so, I like old Cummins diesel engine pistons..Soft & gummy if you try to machine it before heat treating--after that--GREAT !!

Hafta cook it just below melt po> Does something like this exist? Interested in something like 80-90% alluminum

Reply to
jerry Wass