Another Fork-Lift Accident

FFS....just spot how many basic rules of fork-lift safety are being violated in this video.

The guy in the "man cage" wasn't killed, which was certainly lucky for him. I wasn't aware that a "man cage" type device was even permitted under OSHA rules.....in fact, I doubt that it is. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

FFS....just spot how many basic rules of fork-lift safety are being violated in this video.

The guy in the "man cage" wasn't killed, which was certainly lucky for him. I wasn't aware that a "man cage" type device was even permitted under OSHA rules.....in fact, I doubt that it is. Dave

What OSHA rules? That is Plymouth England!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve

Did OSAH rules on these things change [relatively] lately?

The (USA) grocery store chain I work for sent forklift man-platforms out to all the stores a few years ago. They got used only very occasinally. Usually the stock clerks would just get the whole pallet down, since they'd need a bunch of whatever was on it anyway.

Then after about a year, corporate HQ sent an email around not to use them anymore. So now every store has a bright-orange, nearly-new-condition forklift platform sitting in the storage room. And has for the past, oh, five years or so.

Reply to
DougC

From the looks of it, it is functionally not very different from a Genie AWP type lift. The problem in the video was taking a fairly high-speed turn with a load elevated on the forks. IF you must move with a man in the basket, you do so at a creep. That lift would have toppled no matter what load was up high. Not a tool problem, an operator problem.

Seems to be a legal device in the UK/Ireland

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

I wonder how many got crushed into trusses in those. I think I've seen even more lousy forklift drivers than crazy VW drivers, and that's saying a lot. My Tundra was cut off TWICE by an idiot blind bitz in a VW van yesterday. Had I been in my old Ford, I'd have let her take what she had coming. She changed into my lane with less than 4' and I was accelerating both times, so I had to use the 4-wheel disc brakes hard, on short notice, each time. It didn't matter how big my truck was because she simply did not look to see if it was clear to change lanes. She was too busy making hand gestures and talking with the other lady in the POS to pay attention to that little detail. Feh!

Absolutely. I'll bet that when the electrician is back to normal, he tracks down and kicks the shit out of that idiot driver who hurt him and nearly killed him.

That's amazing. Butter knives are banned there. =:0

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Darwin is probably rolling in his grave.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

The guy in the cage wasn't necessarily the one doing the stupid thing. He might have been screaming his head off for the guy to bring him down and drive sanely.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

He got into the cage when there was a MORON behind the wheel.

Good enough for me...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

The operator is running around with his lift extended. The load should be

4" off the deck, then lifted when he reaches the work point. He's going too fast. He turns too sharply.

The "man cage" is allowed. We used them a lot in the convention industry, but only certain operators were allowed to run a lift with men in the basket. Each man had to be tied off. No one rode in the basket underway, but entered when the lift reached the work point. The "man cage" looks to be two story contraption, probably shop made. That added to the top heavyness. The forklift is of a small variety with tiny wheels. The cage is about as big as the forklift, but surely not as heavy. But do the physics with leverage, centrifugal force, etc.

The causes are simple. Stages extended while driving, excessive speed, too sharp of a turn. The operator surely was either an idiot, or a newbie, or on drugs, or all three.

Steve, OSHA certified up to 10,000# lift truck operator.

Reply to
Steve B

Holy crap, I missed that small detail. For a man to be in the cage under movement, and at that speed is a definite no no. We could not carry personnel in our cages while under movement. We had to become stationary, then they could get in and buckle up. Any movement was done at a snail's pace after that. This guy was hot dogging with a guy in the bucket. AND with his mast extended. What an idiot. Both of them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

As a kid we used them overseas. They like 1,2,3 stack of beer was never to be moved unless at the bottom. Yes backup one stack depth and then lower to ground. Raise to clear and move slowly.

Center of gravity must be kept low. The movie was like moving a dumbbell standing on end and pushing the bottom only.

Mart> >>> FFS....just spot how many basic rules of fork-lift safety are being

Reply to
Martin Eastburn