Any hope of selling press bolster plates for usable?

I came across a bunch of steel bolster plates:

They go on big punch presses and such, as you know.

My question is, do I have a hope of selling them for usable material at, say, above 60 cents per lb?

I have been able to sell solid steel bars and big rounds for about $1/lb on average, for example. People buy them for "anvils" or whatever.

Ignoramus12521

"Ignoramus12521" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Personally I have little use for steel too large to cut up with my 4" x 6" bandsaw. Larger pieces serve only as tractor counterweights.

Cutting scrap steel with gas or plasma may leave blade-ruining hard spots.

My typical projects are smaller than an inch. I just made a feeler bracket to complete a used Blake coax indicator and am now working on Variac brush holders.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

How about a work table top - with the T slots to hold the work in place and you weld up the frame based on the clamp down holding it in place.

Just a thought - and like he said - put on on the tail end of your forklift... :-)

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I was thinking that I would find someone who needs one for a big H frame press or some such.

I will make money on them if ) scrap them -- not a lot -- but if I try to sell them and they do not sell, I will never make money, as moving, storage and photographing costs will eat up all profits.

I think that I will just scrap them all and keep one for my own needs related to pressing or counterweighting.

Ignoramus11217

They look to be in good shape. Call any big machinery dealers? Or were they at the auction and passed on them?

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

That was a private deal with a company that needs to reclaim some space.

One of them sold already, and paid back almost half of my total cost.

I made one flat blanchard ground plate into a "precision ground blacksmith table", by welding structural tube legs to it. Maybe someone will buy it.

Ignoramus25485