Anybody here install LOTS of Heli-Coils?

One of my customers has me drill. tap, and install STIs (AKA Heli-Coils) in aluminum castings. Depending on the castings they require either 6 or 3 Screw Thread Inserts. While the job is running in the CNC mill there is enough time to install the STIs but not enough time to knock the drive tangs off. There are available tangless STIs but they are much more expensive and the tool to install them is also pretty expensive. The insertion tools I use now wear out pretty fast, which is no surprise considering how soft the steel is that they are made. Because of the crappy quality I have little faith in the replaceable wear parts in the tangless insertion tool. And it doesn't matter who makes the the insertion tools, they are all made of soft steel. If they weren't magnetic I would suspect that they were made from aluminum. Since I am installing several thousand of the STIs per year it makes sense to figure out the fastest way to do it. I have tried to order a pneumatic tang remover twice and both times they were way backordered. So I have, I think, devised a tool that installs the STI and then knocks the tang off once the STI is at the proper depth. And the design of the tool makes it more robust than the shitty ones I am using now, along with knocking off the drive tang. Right now I use a Procunier tapping head to drive the STIs into the work. If my idea works I will be able to use a modified Procunier tapping head to drive the STIs in and then knock off the tang. I just received in the mail today a Procunier tapping head that I bought from our well known wheeler and dealer Igor. It is slated to be modified for this new tool. And so this coming week I will be making the parts and modifying the new to me tapping head. If it works the way I expect I will report here. If it fails I will also. I think. Anyway, if it does work and proves to be a dependable tool is there anyone here who might be interested in buying one? You would need to provide your own Procunier tapping head. The mods being made to the head are reversible and will take less than 30 minutes if you have never taken one of these heads apart. If you are familiar with them the the job should take no more than 15 minutes. A Tapmatic style head will not work with my tool. There is another tapping head that is similar to the Procunier and is sold by the same company. The brand name is ETTCO. I have one of these heads and it works well. And it would in theory work with my tool but since I have not tried to make the mods to my ETTCO head that I have made to a Procunier head I cannot say for sure if the ETTCO heads will work. So, if anyone here is interested in this tool, how much would you be willing to pay for one? I am considering sending a few out for beta testing but I don't want to make several for testing and then find out that nobody wants to pay enough to cover the cost to me to make them. I can't make any money developing a product if I can't sell it. I have in the past developed and brought to market and eventually sold tens of thousamds a product for scuba divers so I know a little about marketing, but not a whole lot. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Why not try case hardening it? (salt bath suggested)

commercially available service

(first heat treater I came to on google try your yellow pages)

if you want to have a go your self see

F. George McDuffee

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Whew! Talk about e e cummings 'stream of conciousness'!

Eric, consider spending ten bucks and buying a few paragraphs!

(Extra points question -- How many times in two sentences can you use the phrase "Procunier Tapping Head" without sounding redundant?)

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I considered heat treating. But then I figured out a way to install the inserts and then break off the tang in one operation. I cannot use the treaded style of insertion tool if I want to break the tangs off in the same operation. As a bonus the insertion tool I will be using is easier to make. Eric

Reply to
etpm

But on topic and I thought worth reading even if I hardly ever install any helicoils.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I agree. I just wish folks would make their posts readable!

In any case, HeliCoils are VERY worthwhile adjuncts to any hardware made of soft metal that must or may be refastened frequently. Aluminum (for instance) will gall and 'wallow out' in only a few re-fastens and re- torquings. Installing HeliCoils will make the threads more durable, and they'll stand up to re-assembly for many times longer. Those, and press- in nuts are a mainstay in making servicable aluminum wares.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

IIRC Timeserts and Keenserts are a better solution in the same circumstances where frequent disassembly and reassembly are required. A company I used to work for used them extensively in magnesium alloy race gearboxes.

Reply to
David Billington

David Billington fired this volley in news:m4c920$8qi$1 @dont-email.me:

Those serve about the same way as press-in knurled nuts. In Mg, they're probably better, because the metal isn't as malleable as Al. In aluminum and plastics, knurled press-in nuts work about the same, but with less machinining to do per fastener.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I just do not use a lot of helicoils. But am very familiar with them and Keenserts. Lots of them used on missiles.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Next time maybe I should put a warning on my post if it is a long one. Nah. When I post something I may get a little verbose but then I want to be clear enough that I don't leave any question about what I did or plan to do. On the other hand maybe I should give up drinking before I post. Nah. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it Dan, even if you hardly ever install STIs. Since writing the post I figured out an improvement to my idea that makes it even easier and cheaper to build. If Lloyd orders one I'll include an especially long instruction sheet. Eric

Reply to
etpm

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'll pay extra for paragraph breaks between thoughts. Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh