Anybody here know 1980s Johnson outboards?

Greetings George, Trim tabs look like they could really help. I think I'll cobble up a pair and see. Thanks. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I'm thinking like your dad. I won't use store bought hinges but will use something close. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Eric, back when small hydroplane racing was a home-brew hobby, the kinds of modifications they did to water-cooled engines were not much different from what they did with go-carts a few years later. I don't think they 5-ported the water-cooled engines, but they squared the ports, raised compression, and packed the crankcases to reduce volume.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Greetings George, Thanks for the links. I do know how to hop up air cooled 2 strokes that exhaust to the air and have done it more than once in the past. What I am looking for are methods for increasing the HP of water cooled motors that exhaust into the water. This limits what can be done for more power. So I'm looking for information that is specific to 2 stroke outboards that exhaust underwater. I should have said as much in my original post. Still, I appreciate your effort to find web sites and post the links. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Your welcome

In case you missed it, this was in one of the urls

Let the group know how it goes. We got quite a few boat owners in the group and if you can, post a pic or two to the dropbox at

F. George McDuffee

I wonder if a little nitro would help, too.

@ Amazon

See if there is a carburetor made for the beastie which would boost power. That's also a quick bolt-on upgrade.

My pleasure.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Being a 2 stroke, a tuned pipe would be the best way to get more power out of it (along with a lot more noise). Add a larger carb along with it, and you could likely almost double the horsepower. The tuned pipe would involve getting rid of the "wet" exhaust.

Reply to
clare

I know what I would do if it was a dirt bike. But it looks like the only way to get a significant power increase is to do things I don't want to do, things that would make the motor much louder. I like the quiet motor. That quietness comes with a price-lower power. So I'll live with the lower power until a good deal comes along for a 7.5 or

10 hp motor. I'm gonna keep the 4.5 motor as a spare. I have 3 hp air cooled motor that rides in the boat as a spare. So maybe I'll get rid of it when I get another larger motor. Eric
Reply to
etpm

I hear that! (sorry, bad pun)

I think I read you offering an aluminum boat in trade. How about offering the boat plus the smaller motor for the 10hp you want? Less clutter, more enjoyment.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The smaller motor runs great. And I have learned not to go out into the Salish Sea (nee Puget Sound) without a spare motor. Rowing home on a small lake is one thing, rowing against the wind and current on a large body of water is entirely another. And having to be towed back to the dock when a friend's 24 foot cabin cruiser broke down because the idiot didn't have a spare motor has made me cautious. Even a 3 hp kicker motor on a 24 foot boat is way better than trying to row it. So when I go crabbing in my little 12 foot boat I always bring along a spare. It doesn't take up much room and makes me feel safer. Eric Eric

Reply to
etpm

I hear you!! After having the 60 horse engine on a 17 foot boat die in Murray Harbour PEI, about 2 1/2 miles from shore I won't set foot in a boat unless it is running PERFECTLY. I was able to walk the boat around an island and across a sand-bar to within 1/4 mile, then by tinkering and unlinking the timing from the carb, get it to putt

------ Putt ---- P-P-Putt enough to get back to shore and get the small boat to go back and get everyone else a few at a time. That Altlantic water can be COLD in July!!!!. Then I was with a friend on a reservoir in Zambia when his motor quit. Crocs. - not getting into THAT water!!!!!

Still better than losing the engine on a plane though. Friend has a corvette V8 (Robinson Air Power) powered Republic SeaBee -lost the fanbelt - made it to a lake before the engine blew, but they had to airlift it out with a helicopter. His bank account may be able to stand it - but I'd be BROKE. - and it is a large part LUCK that he is still alive and the plane will LIKELY fly (and float) again!!!

Reply to
clare

You're a right bright Scout, Eric. Always Prepared!

Reply to
Larry Jaques