anyone have an S&D drill index they don't want

look - amazing - a metal related post !!! how could that happen?

anyway, I have a set of S&D drills that came in a cardboard box - and inside the cardboard box, more boxes, each with a drill wrapped in paper and plastic inside - well, that's a pain, so I want a drill index (9/16 to 1 inch X 1/6ths). Huot makes a suitable index but by the time I buy it and pay shipping the index will cost me more than these cheap chinese S&D drills - of course I'll then have a nice Huot drill index (by the way, the model # of the index is 88 SD) - so, I figure one of you fine folks might have such a thing sitting around the garage that you might want to turn into cash or trade for something you imagine I might have, or ???

if you have an extra one that you'd like to spare, please let me know

-

will iam_b _n o ble at msn daught com

Oh, ..... I don't mind if the case is conservative or liberal, it can even be independent, so long as it holds the S&D drills. (there, does that feel more like our typical post now?)

Reply to
bill

Hmmm... no good sources for an index, but how about a drill block? Especially since they should all have 1/2" shafts. Drill a bunch of appropriately spaced holes in a chunk of scrapwood, maybe go a /64 or /

32 over so they're easy to pull out. If dust or chips is an issue, maybe use the block to make a box. Luan ply, sheetmetal, polycarbonate, whatever material you're more comfortable working with... sliding cover, hinged cover, cover that lifts off... stain and poly or greasy fingerprints, the options for customization are endless. ;) --Glenn Lyford
Reply to
glyford

I bought the Huot index and dixcovered that several of my Chinese S&D drills are too long for it.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yup, that's what I did. I started with a full size 2 X 4 and laid out the holes. Think about incresing spacing as you get to the bigger sizes so you can get your fingers in there to pull them out. Works best if you can get a forstner or at least brad point drill bit to avoud tear-out. I think I may have gotten a metric size bit so's I could get a hole a little bigger than 1/2". I'd send you my CAD template, but I miscounted (somehow forgetting the smallest (33/64)in the 33/64-1" by 64ths set I bought). ---So I'm one hole short (31 instead of 32). I even spray painted it with a clear finish. Looks and works great.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------

Reply to
spaco

So -- sharpen them a few times. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

snip-------------

thanks for the hint on chinese S&D drills - of course that's what I have

The problem with making a drill block is that I have a space problem - an index folds up and fits in a small space, a block stays out where it takes up space that I don't have.

Still hoping to find a nice huot index.....

Reply to
bill

The longest is 1-5/8" too long. It's a US-made 33/64, the tap drill for 9/16-18, so there's no official place for it in the index anyway, or for the 17/32 tap drill for 5/8-11 or the 21/32 for 3/4-10. The first two are also clearance for 1/2" bolt shanks if welding shifts the original tight 1/2" hole.

I bought the $25 "5 Piece Super Stubby.." S&D set for extra vertical clearance on my small Clausing mill. For occasional hobby use on mild steel they aren't bad. They are packed in a wooden box with two notched strips to separate them which is considerably more space- efficient than the bulky Huot index. The Huot S&D index puts two rows of bits in one tilting block, so they need finger clearance all around and aren't packed in close rows like their other models. A good point of the Huot is that it is twice the size of the fractional index and two of them fit nicely on top of it.

You could make a considerably smaller storage box with two wedge- shaped wooden blocks facing in opposite directions so the points of one row rest on the wood of the other.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins